Opinions on the SimAudio Moon 260D CD player/transport?

Yes, yes, I still use CDs! I have been using an Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP player for many years, and have been very happy with it. It has, however, begun to show some signs of its age, and there is a mint, supposedly lightly used Moon Neo 260D available locally (no DAC; just the transport).

I would be using it with my Hegel H160 and Harbeth 30.1

If anyone has any opinions on that machine, and especially in comparison to the EMC-1UP, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Tony
whipsaw

Showing 2 responses by georgehifi

Mojo Audio EVO DAC
Another great R2R Multibit dac for converting PCM redbook 👍

Mojo Music quotes:
"Most modern single-bit DAC chips can decode multiple file formats, including PCM, DSD, and Wide-DSD.
🧨Of course when they are decoding PCM, a single-bit DAC chip has to first convert it into DSD, the chip’s native format.🧨
And why they are just a facsimile of PCM, and not "bit perfect" like an R2R dac..

"Another reason for the common misconception that DSD performs better than PCM has to do with the poor quality of the real-time PCM to DSD converters built into native DSD single-bit DAC chips."

Cheers George
whipsaw

Your Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP uses a VAU1254 laser, which are getting very hard and expensive to get original Philips ones.
It also uses a CS4397 Delta Sigma converter, which is not one of the better dac chips for PCM CD’s conversion.

Your SimAudio Moon 260D uses a SF-HD65 laser cheap and available almost still at any corner store.
It also uses a Burr Brown (Texas Instruments) PCM1793 which is a hybrid, Delta Sigma/Multibit to me the better performing one.

I prefer full R2R Multibit, no Delta Sigma at all for converting PCM RedBook CD’s 16/44 25/96 or DXD.

Cheers George