Opinions on the SimAudio Moon 260D CD player/transport?

Yes, yes, I still use CDs! I have been using an Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP player for many years, and have been very happy with it. It has, however, begun to show some signs of its age, and there is a mint, supposedly lightly used Moon Neo 260D available locally (no DAC; just the transport).

I would be using it with my Hegel H160 and Harbeth 30.1

If anyone has any opinions on that machine, and especially in comparison to the EMC-1UP, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Tony
whipsaw

Showing 5 responses by facten

I use the Sim 260dt (transport version) with a Mojo Audio EVO DAC. I have found that it adds more body and weight to the music then the Cambridge CXC I had been using. The unit’s operation is quiet and smooth, reads redbook or CDRs with zero issues
@jab ": Is the Sim transport a true high end piece? Replacing a Cambridge anything is nothing to talk about. "

I made a simple statement about having the Sim and like what it has provided . Likewise, expecting that someone might ask what I replaced I mentioned the Cambridge; nothing more intended. Whether or not the Sim sounds not as good, as good , or better than what you have I couldn’t offer an opinion as I’ve never had them. Feel free to state any firsthand specifics you have on comparing your transports to the Sim so we can all benefit from your insights.
I am the one who made the statement about more body and weight. I had no interest in the CD player version of the Sim as I already have 2 DACs that I thoroughly enjoy, the Mojo in my main system and a Modwright Elyse which I moved into my 2nd system. I am satisfied with the Sim transport's  sound and performance in my system and therefore, for me it was worth the cost. Only you can decide if the transport's performance meets your expectations by hearing it in your system;  and therefore, whether or not you would feel that its  cost would be justified. Good luck which whatever decision you make.
I use RCA terminated digital cables between my two transports and two DACs and find the better the cable the better the resulting sound.  If you go with a BNC terminated digital cable but need RCA connections you can get a quality BNC/RCA adaptor

I shifted from SPDIF RCA digital cable to AES digital cable between the Sim 260DT and the Mojo EVO DAC and realized an uptick in SQ