One turntable with two arms, or two turntables with one each - which would you prefer?

Which would you prefer, if budget allowed: one turntable with two tonearms or two turntables with one each? What would your decision criteria be?

And the corollary: one phono preamp with multiple inputs or two phono preamps?

Assume a fixed budget, but for the purposes of this question, the budget is up to the responder. Admittedly for this type of setup, there will be a sizeable investment once all components of the chain are factored in.

I'm curious to hear how people would decide for themselves the answer to this question. Or maybe you've already made this decision - what do you like about your decision or what would you differently next time?

Cheers.

dullgrin

Showing 4 responses by duramax747

I must admit I have not heard the Panzerholz warps. Thinner thicknesses can bow but I've never seen it warp. 

We use it for professional motorsports and never had a part returned because it warp. We have been using densified wood for a few decades so have some experience. 

We have racks of this material from 3mm-100mm and have used it in many applications. 

Currently I'm building a three teir component rack with 40mm Panzerholz. 

In motorsports engineers do not like to try other things if what they have works. 

We create our own densified wood to our specs. We consolidate it at a higher psi and are hold times are longer. 

This makes it even more stiff and rigid. 

When routing Panzerholz carbine tooling is necessary. Not carbine tipped. It machines incredible well but you will go through some tooling as it is tough on. tooling.

Yes slowing Rpm down and using a low flute tool, so it does not gum up, helps tremendously , but nonetheless to get a high quality part it takes a certain skill set for sure.

Try performing locking miter joints on 25mm for speaker cabinet.

I took some samples of 25mm Panzerholz locking miter joint compared to 25mm Finnish Birch (Baltic Birch void free) doing the same locking miter joint to an audio show this year.

Every speaker manufacturer I showed it to they were impressed at the difference between the two materials and the locking miter joint.

You would think that the $40,000 and up speakers would use this joint and material, at least for front baffle. It takes veneer and paints incredible well.

We've made numerous 100 mm plinths and you will find yourself in very deep water quickly if you are not careful. The plinths you see using the Panzerholz do not  machine from 100 mm. They instead use 25mm and cut four parts and glue them up. Glueing eliminates the structural integrity of the Panzerholz and yet this is how its done. 

Even Kaiser speakers, if you read carefully their marking description carefully, use Panzerholz in bracing and other key areas. The speaker is not made entirely from Panzerholz. 

Sorry if I got off topic from the point of this discussion. 

lewm,

It's not. Just stating the physical characteristic of Panzerholz. That characteristic produces very clean and crisp parts as oppossed to say plywood or MDF. 

I would imagine that the hardness would contribute to the speed at which mechanical vibration travels throught the material (velocity).