OMG - I am just investigating ‘tweaks’ to improve my audio system.

Everyone:

i have been been using Audiogon to educate myself on trying to improve my audio systems ( yes I have two systems - one in my main living area and one in my man cave ). I actively buy used equipment on Audiogon and I use the discussion boards to educate myself on how to best improve my sound. I just specifically asked for help on implementing the ‘new orange fuse from SR in my main system on another thread that apparently just got shut down ! To clarify comments made on the thread that is now closed - I am only looking to replace fuses that I have access to on the outside of my system components. I am not opening up any equipment. I am not qualified to do this - I am a Chemist who loves music! Audiogon discussion boards have improved my sound in the last 6 months to a level that is ‘over the Moon great’. I now use Anticable for my interconnects and speaker wire, Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner, High Fidelity Cables MC 0.5 Power Conditioner.  I upgraded my Maggie 1.6 qrs- they are now Peter Gunned - midrange vocals are the best I have ever heard!

the people hear that have helped me - you know who you are - elizebeth - nonoise - thanks again for the help!

i asked for help directly from Oregonpapa concerning the SR Orange fuse just released - but I got the thread killed I guess - sorry. Not my intent. I just wanted to buy the correct fuse that I can access without opening up my equipment. I listed my specific equipment earlier - but the only fuses I have access to are:

Krell KAV 400 xi - one fuse port labeled AGC 8 - this integrated amp is out of warranty and 9 years old - still sounds great
Maggie 1.7i - type 3AG 4 amp max

any help would be appreciated!

tom8999
tom8999

Showing 5 responses by tom8999

BTW - Rodman 99999 thanks for the comments on the closed thread and the link to a Teddy Power Conditioner.
Thanks - apparently someone on the old thread thought I was going to disassemble my Krell integrated and electrocute myself. I will probably go ahead and use the less expensive silver inserts and jumper for the Magnapans from Mike Powell audio.
Jerrybj - thanks for the input on the Orange fuses you just got into your system. I am still on the fence and have not ordered anything as yet. My Krell KAV 400xi just got sent back to Krell for service - developed a ‘hum’ at higher volumes after 15 years of use. Hopefully it is repairable. I am on hold until this issue is corrected.
Wow - sorry for the delay in my input here since I started this thread. My wife and I have been on vacation for two weeks out of the country with limited internet (Carib vacation).

My Krell KAV 400 xi is now repaired by Krell and on it’s way back to me. It needed to be recapped in the Amp, and repairs in the preamp to eliminate a hum at high volume. In my book this speaks very well on build quality at Krell - a 15 year old integrated amp hopefully in new condition for $775. What a great country! A new Krell integrated runs $7,000.

To address some comments I have read - I have addressed room acoustics, within limits my wife will accept. The sound out of my system - vocals, imaging, highs, bass are very accurate. I love my biamped Maggie 1.7i with bass panel. My references are multiple live Diana Krall concerts, and small Jazz Club music (The Jazz Corner at Hilton Head Island).

i have done multiple tweaks to my system already ( speaker wire, interconnects, Furman Power Conditioner, High Fidelity Cables MC 0.5  ) with good results.

I cannot wait to find out how my rebuilt Krell sounds. Once I get the Krell  broken in, I will look into additional ‘tweaks’ going forward.

Everyone - this is a hobby! Enjoy Listening.
Everyone - here is another update on my quest for better sound - my Krell KAV 400 xi is now officially unrepairable- it did not pass Krell’s last Test before being shipped back to me (DC voltage drift that was not correctable). Sorry for the earlier misinformation.

i have decided to buy Krell’s new integrated amp as my replacement - the Krell K 300i. This does dent my budget, but I am excited to get my hands on it - hopefully by Jan 6th per Krell.

per Georgehifi’s earlier comments - I am getting a brand new preamp and amplifier instead of a rebuilt 15 year old Krell. And a 5 year warranty is also included. Not a bad situation after my wife got over the upfront investment!

i have used my ‘other 5 year old Krell - a S550i’ in my main system the last month, and it is outperforming the older 400xi. Hopefully the new Krell will be another step change upward. I will let you all know how it goes. My budget is busted but I will have both of my systems back soon. I admit II need my music to stay sane! I guess I could have worse vices!

my tweaking my stereo systems is now on hold for at least the first half of 2020.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!