Old phones as streaming sources

I'm curious how many  of you have converted old phones to streamers. I have found  that when I remove the sim card and shut off blue tooth and wire the phone to a dac with an appropriate USB adapter cable, my old iphone 6s makes a pretty good streamer. Just wondering what others experiance has been. It is a really economical way to source digital to a 2nd or 3rd system. You can even cut electronic noise further by running on battery power when listening and shutting off the screen once the music is rolling. Going one step further would be to transfer local files to the phones memory and turn off wireless altogether. I have not done this but theoretically it should help. I usually just run the Qobuz app and stream from that to my Chord Mojo. What's your experiance?

Ag insider logo xs@2xbruce19

'A friend of mine mentioned that Aurender said somewhere in their literature that the streamer accounts for 70% of the sound quality of a system vs 30% DAC.'

I have found the following excerpt (opinion) on  Moon Audio's website:

'In our opinion, the DAC will account for about 70% of the sound quality, with the streamer accounting for the other 30%. So spend more money on your DAC (if you're buying one). But know that both are important.'

Now what?

This leads to my conclusion that every one who is interested in this topic needs to find out for himself where the truth lies. Like many other comments on various topics in this forum, I would assume 'it depends'.

I for myself prefer to use the time needed to find the answer to above for listening to music instead. That said, I found a very nice recording just this weekend of the Willis Jackson Quintet,  'Cool Grits'.

I needed to start this title right now after realizing that it seems that I am a bit overwhelmed.. 'Cool Grits' does some good soothing..

This statement is not ment to be sarcastic.

Cheers! to all of you

@eagledriver_22 …”This leads to my conclusion that every one who is interested in this topic needs to find out for himself where the truth lies. ”

Yes, very true. For me, I have been really amazed at how much the streamer makes a difference. But of course an inferior DAC will compromise the sound as well. The moral of the story is that everything matters. 

@ghdprentice "The moral of the story is that everything matters."

Yes, I do agree. Maybe some things more than others.

I still have to buy a streamer to find out if it would offer a better audible sound quality to me compared to my actual setup. Due to budget constraints, this is not going to happen very soon.

Post removed 

OP, debating whether the iPhone is a decent streamer with audiophiles who own expensive streamers in the thousands or even tens of thousands may not be worthwhile. Individuals should experiment if they are interested. People tend to defend the significant expense they have already incurred, and it's unlikely that they will admit the potential diminished return value proposition that a seemingly free streamer like the iPhone may offer.  Iphone as a streamer amazes me in the following aspects:

1. It is a bit-perfect ready streaming device up to 24 bit 192 khz as long as supported by the app.
  2. It is a low jitter performer like other quality streamers;
  3. You could run almost all music streaming service provider app on iphone including Roon Remote.  Some streamers like ifi Zen Stream can not allow one to run Qobuz directly and need to go through Upnp app like Mconnect.
  4. The iPhone boasts multiple (4-6) GB of RAM, with models like the iPhone 13 having 3.55 GB of usable RAM. It's quick on indexing music files and processing essential features like gapless playback, making it comparable or even superior to some expensive streamers. For comparison, devices like Ifi ZS have 1 GB, Auralic started with 1 GB and recently increased to 4 GB, Hifi Rose has 4 GB, Lumin ranges from 2-8 GB, Aurender has 8 GB, etc. Notably, the Wiim mini has only 128 MB of RAM (Wiim Pro has 512 MB) to support bit-perfect streaming up to 24-bit 192 kHz. 
  5. Iphone allows one to play music from local USB storage through external USB hub and adapters.
  6. Finally, iphone has the most compact form factor as a streamer.

Apple has already integrated and established these specifications in the iPhone quite some time ago to support online music streaming and local music playing, predating the availability of both cheap and expensive streamers in the market today. One might raise the question, 'So what? How about the most important aspect - sound quality?' To that end, I have personally tried and attested, as have several others. I'll leave it to you to explore if you are interested.