OK, Streamers: "Head" units only...?

Saw a post the opther day that made sense.
"Dont want your DAC or your hard drive or your CD burner...."

This guy just wants the "BEST" (and most cost-effective) way to get files from streaming services or your existing ripped library over to the DAC that he's already happy with. No NAS, No this, no that...

Me, too!

My evolution has gone from: Apple TV to Bluesound to my Chord Qutest. It sounds great and I should stop here....right...?

So, what are the units out there that JUST STREAM well and at the "highest quality" without blowing a hole in your budget. Sure, every problem gets solved if I throw $10K at it.

But, what about between Bluesound and, say, $2,500....what is out there that doesn't have a DAC or any other features. Just a good app and a high quality stream.

BTW, why would it be any better than Bluesound. 
ianrmack

Showing 2 responses by crn3371

@veroguy, thanks for Node vs Mind link. That’s exactly the kind of comparison I’m looking for.  
I’m in the same boat as the OP, except in my case I want an upgrade from a MacBook Pro. I briefly tried the Bluesound Node 2i but returned it as I couldn’t really hear a difference compared to the Mac. I’m currently approaching analysis paralysis regarding streaming only boxes. In the sub $1k range there’s the W4S modified SONOS Connect, and the Pro-Ject Stream Box Ultra. I researched the Bel Canto e.one Stream @ $1500, but it’s not just a streamer as it also has a DAC. In the $2k range I’m looking at both the Lumin U1 mini, and the Moon Mind 2, both streaming only. There’s really not that many reviews on these boxes, and even fewer comparisons. Opinions seem to be split between “a streamer is a streamer, and it’s the DAC that affects SQ” and “streamers are just as important regarding SQ as the DAC”.