Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi

Showing 17 responses by enginedr1960

Hello I was following your thread with much interest . I am a owner of a pair of Walsh 2.2000 speakers . I have had my speakers modified by Ohm I had the cabinets shortened to 13 " and sealed like Ohms satellite style . I place my speakers on top of a pair of REL Q201E subs in stereo . I installed a signal line CAP in my VTL100 tube mono block amps to cut off the LF @ 50 HZ . To get the bass right in my room I use a DSPeaker Antimode 2.0 . I find ths Walsh driver sounds much more articulate this way. To get the sub crossover just right I am using a Mini DSP 2x4 for that purpose . I find the Ohm speaker has a lot to offer if used right . I have mine 2 feet from the wall and  7 feet apart on the long wall . I have not heard many systems better them mine but would like too.  

The mod on the speaker removed the inductor and switch on the binding post cup . The driver is wired direct to the speaker cables. The subs are on IsoAcoustics ISO -l8r200 stands 4 " tall the tweeter height falls in at 36" from the floor . The best thing about the Ohms is they are coherent . The Mini DSP is a great inexpensive tool for sub adjustments $ 105.00  @ Madisound

Peter look into epoxy granite . its used in CNC machine bases .The new Ohm speakers are built out of birch plywood  

Peter if I were to dampen my cabinets I would cut some square wood glue and screw them in the corners . level the cabinet and pour in the epoxy it would take four pours . And if you want a liquid butyl rubber you can use Permatex  the right stuff .
Well said bondmanp I have a system very similar to yours and feel the Ohm speakers brings out the emotional response to the music . My system gives me goose bumps  on great recordings . The better the source the better they sound .   
The Question to ask is who did the 2 to 2000 upgrade . I had my Walsh 2s upgraded by Ohm every thing was done wright  they made new top plates for the 2000 drivers which are larger than the 2 drivers  and the tweeter orientation was correct .

The one thing i feel would be a addition to the upgrade would be to mark the tweeter center line on the top of the can and use edge clamps to hold it down so you can rotate it to aim them as needed.. As for the bass adjustment switch on the binding post cup I discovered that when I wanted to change my binding posts to something better . This is a interesting thread the Ohm Walsh speaker has the potential  too be not just a good speaker but a great one.

I updated mine in 2015 i had them updated at Ohm they replaced the top and bottom plate re veneered them in rosewood repaired the loose braces stuffed the cabinets and install plastic port tubes. I paid $ 1400.00 for this service . Then 3 months ago I wanted to cut the cabinets down to 13" John did not want to damage the veneer . I traded them back to him . He made me 2 -13" high Walsh 2 cabinets with sealed bottoms . I place my Ohms on the top of my REL subs the tweeter height is set for my seating position . I installed some caps in the signal path of my amps to make a hi pass above 50 Hz . the wires from the drivers go right to the binding posts no inductor in the path . I find the drivers are more articulate this way .I still have another pair of Walsh 2s that I can run the old and new drivers in . 

Hi Peter I for one are interested in your quest to perfect the Ohm speaker . I have a set of 2-2000s and feel they could use some refinement in the upper frequency range . I added some super tweeters to my set up and find the results to be positive . I feel that a tweeter upgrade would improve there performance . The other thing would be running them without the cans . I would like to buy a set of raw drivers that are in the 2000s to start fresh and add some high quality tweeters and crossover components .The Ohm design has some great qualities the main one is coherence and no box coloration   

I have Ohm 2.2000 short satellite speakers and 4 subs in my living room I use a DSPeaker  2.0 Digital room correction device . Like all things in audio once you drink from the well there is no going back .If you want true full range you need subs and not just one . 

I had JS modify my Walsh 2 cabinets I provided him with sorbothane  feet and binding post of my choice the SATs sit on top of a pair of REL Q201e subs that sit on Isoacoustics sub stands this combo puts the tweeters at ear height . I upgraded one of the two pair of my Walsh 2s based on Bondmaps well written review and very happy I did . Subs add to the ambiance of the recording and the emotional response to the music I can not go back to not having them in a system
The point of my using the Ohm 2.2000 SATs is why have a driver pushed to a frequency that causes distortion . The speakers sit on top of the subs and are now in acoustic suspension cabinets . I installed signal line caps in my amps to hi pass above 50 HZ . I find the Walsh driver sounds more refined this way . The second pair of subs evens out the bass response in the room . In this case more subs is less boom that is . Distributed bass  is the way to go
Hi Peter i like the idea of the ESS . I would fabricate a tweeter stand like a tripod attached to a ring that goes around the l/f driver flange so that you can rotate the tweeter . the top of the tripod base should have enough room to time align the tweeter .    
The 4xo are the newer version of the 4s with foam surrounds that makes them more efficient . The 2000s have aluminum drivers and rubber surrounds . I run my 2000s with a pair of VTL100 tube mono amps I have no problem driving them with 80 watts the big power supplies help . As for super tweeters I use a pair on top of the grills and like the effect . Improved transient response   

I bought a pair of customsupertweeters on ebay three years ago I was using them on my Walsh 2s at some point I blew one of them out . I upgraded my 2s to 2000 and was not using them . I found a replacement driver and repaired the blown one . I just reintroduced them into my system . they have a crossover and gain selector switches  12hz 16hz & 20hzs   - they are 93db with a -3 & -6 DB setting . I have them set @  20hz & -6 and reversed the phase this sounds the best to me . I would like to try some Townshend supper tweeters they are small and think the will fit under the hats .

If you are in NYC and want to here my system PM me

Thank you Peter for s the advice . On the subject of L-pads check out the Intact audio speaker level autoformers  .Go to the Hifi herion web site there is a picture there  
I have discovered a trick with my 2.2000 s by using 3/4 thick felt under the grill in the inside rear corners I corrected the reflection off my 60 " TV screen that is placed in the center between the speakers . Using felt inside the grill controls dispersion of the driver .