Odyssey "Khartago" Stereo Extreme" amp compared to Schitt's "Vidar" amp

I am downgrading my amp to a smaller size and considering either Odyssey Khartago Stereo Extreme  or the Schitt Audio "Vidar"  Therefore, I need some feedback about which amp might sound better and more compatible with a Conrad Johnson PV-14L SE pre-amp. Also, which one would be more compatible with a variety of speakers

My current speakers are Golden Ear Technology model 7's which might  possibly be replaced by Magneplanar .7 speakers, or something better than the GET 7's.

Thank you,

S.J.

sunnyjim

Showing 14 responses by rodman99999

Has anyone mentioned; Klaus offers a no-questions-asked, no-restocking-fee, 30 day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee?    http://www.odysseyaudio.com/sales-usa.html      Hard to go wrong!
Hey, George-  Have you actually compared the Odyssey Khartago Extreme to the Schitt combo, or- are you making assumptions?
So- assumptions, now- to include Klaus(as being a fool, regarding EE design). Have you personally met him? I have(and been to his house, more than once). It’s been my experience; there’s much more to the sound of an amplifier, than just the operational mode. btw: Ever heard of a Germanic audio manufacturer, called, "Symphonic Line"? It was their EEs, that designed the circuitry, Odyssey employs. Please: name their less than competent circuit designers(ie: Rolf Gemein, perhaps?).      http://www.symphonic-line.de/eng/
I asked a couple questions, that you left unanswered. Did you directly compare the Odyssey Khartago Extreme, with the Schitt combo, or- are you making assumptions? To expand slightly, on the second: have you any personal contact or experience, with ANY of the above EEs(Bunge or Moffat, in particular), by which to judge their relative knowledge/capabilities? Yeah, you said, " And we know Mike Moffat is no fool in Electronic Engineering design, I’d back him over Klaus any day.", which implies you assume Klaus IS one. Further, regarding Class A operation; read the portion of this article, dealing with heatsinks and Rolf’s design goals. https://www.stereophile.com/content/rolf-gemein-heart-matter Far as a chassis with, "blanked off" holes: Klaus has to keep his costs down somehow, to offer the values he does. Having one chassis, covering a couple variations in amp design, is one excellent method. 
Given you’ve ignored my second question, I’ll assume, the answer is, "No!", to both. The design parameters of Odyssey amps(base models) provide for slightly over 23% of their first wattage, to be Class A. (ie: 35 W, out of the Stratus’ 150 W / 23 W, of the Khartago’s 100 W) Some may have heard; Alon Wolf uses Odyssey, to voice his highly regarded Magico speakers. Seems a pretty solid reference, but- that’s just my opinion. Happy listening!
OP: Odyssey= 20 year warranty(which covers the second owner) and 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Hard to go wrong!  Happy listening!
Those figures were the result of bench-testing, in one of Odyssey’s many favorable reviews, NOT the idle currents of the amps. Perhaps ’The Audiophile Voice’, that mentioned the Stratus’ figures in their review as well, read something incorrectly(not that I give them that much credence)? Had you looked at the reference I provided earlier; that’s Rolf’s philosophy(more and better heatsinking for increased Class A capabilities). YES; I know you don’t care(about anything but your own opinions). I’ll leave the ubiquitous last word, to you(seems you need the validation).
@georgehifi - Thinking about it; I’ve been challenging you, regarding personal experience and assumptions. The specs that I quoted, were from one article, then repeated in another, neither author of with whom I’ve had any personal contact/experience. The figures were not obtained on my test bench, or- in my presence. In that confabulation(brainfart, basically); I got the, "ASS" part of, "assumptions", to a tee. My bad and my last word(MMMM, crow, yummy)!
"Your are incorrect and delusional"? Nah! Just repeated something I shouldn’t have. "How’s $1,000.00 for a preamp, another $1,000.00 for a (150Wpc) amp (the first 35 watts are pure class A)...The sound was excellent with outstanding ability to go way down into the nether regions." That’s a verbatim quote, from the second(Audiophile Voice) of the two articles, regarding the Stratus amp’s output, to which I’ve briefly alluded, twice now. AND- like I said: had no business quoting those two personally unsubstantiated articles(whether correct, or not).
Anyone interested in returning to the subject of this thread(WITHOUT the spin)? ie: ’Odyssey "Khartago" Stereo Extreme" amp compared to Schitt’s "Vidar" amp’. NOT amps strapped/bridged mono or a chassis with extra holes, but- a stereo amp, with a plethora of upgrades, from it’s base model. I never intimated the amp of interest to the OP, had 35W of Class A, either. That was PURPORTEDLY the base model, 150W, Stratus, which(again) I never should have mentioned, without personal confirmation. Has anyone actually compared(LISTENED TO) the pieces, mentioned by the OP? Nothing against Schitt's gear here, either. Happy listening!
To those here: I have nothing against anyone’s equipment. I just take issue with the sort that make unsubstantiated claims, like, "....you’d get better sound...", never having heard, or compared, the pertinent components. Again: class of operation isn’t all that’s involved, as regards final sound quality. Grind on, George! 
This will be the third time, that I’ve mentioned my regrets, for having repeated what two articles mentioned, regarding the Stratus' output specs(NOT CURRENT CONSUMPTION), without having substantiated the claims(whether correct or not). AND- I was probably reading spec sheets, before you were in diapers, though I’m not the least bit concerned, with anyone’s opinion of my credentials. Especially; not one with the limited comprehension, that you’ve exhibited, regarding the above. Once again: anyone out there, that has actually compared/listened to the two amplifiers, that had the OP’s interest? It would be refreshing, to have a valid(rather than vapid) opinion!
"Anyone is free to purchase gear from Odyssey, but I think it is fair to give balanced opinions with both positive and negative EXPERIENCE for all potential audiophiles to look over before they make a purchase." That type of discourse in an absolute necessity, for the survival of the species. I’ve never owned an Odyssey amp. While considering a move from tubes to SS, to run my new Magnepans(then), I had a pair of Klaus’ amps, in the home, briefly. Ended up buying more efficient speakers and staying with tubes, after almost three decades of planars.   I thought Klaus pleasant and knowledgeable, but then- we never had an issue, either.