Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 3 responses by ljbrandt

I bought a STA200 and have about 5 hours of listening into it. Using on 86db/6ohm speakers and coming from a well respected chip amp. First thing I noticed was the impact this amp has at higher volumes.Very dynamic and lively -  it is meant to be played loud!  However, highs are a bit strident / grainy and bass/mid-bass is a little too exaggerated and loose (on my speakers).  I have a feeling the 60hz-200hz range is somehow accentuated on this amp.  These faults are easily overlooked when the volume turns up and you start "feeling" the music. It's dynamics & speed are addictive.  I wonder how much improvement could be had with a 2nd unit in a vertical bi-amp set-up...my rational self thinks it may not be worth it for a 10% subjective improvement in performance.  I will continue to listen for improvement as the amp breaks in.