Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 5 responses by donst100

Hi, anyone have one of these amps shut down for overheating? Do they have thermal protection circuits? Mine cut out--was pretty hot. Let it cool down and it came back on. Driving Elac Uni-fi UB5 speakers--4 ohm. Very little info about these amps online. Are they okay with 4 ohm speakers?
Thanks. I suspect it's the speakers. No problems with a Cambridge CXA 80 driving them but the Nuforce runs pretty hot. I also have it in a cabinet without enough ventilation and was really running it when it happened.  Going to add ventilation and swap in some 8ohm speakers and see how it runs.

The Elacs do sound really good, esp. since I got them on sale for $350.  Maybe I'll buy another amp and run two :)
Quick follow up: swapped in Monitor Bronze 2 speakers (8ohm, 90db). Amp is hardly breaking a sweat. Really think it does not like the Elacs...

Not necessarily surprised, just wondering if anyone had similar experiences. My Cambridge CXA80, also 80 watts, handles the Elac's easily. There's just no info out there about how the Nuforce handles 4 ohm speakers. 

The Nuforce has been fine with the Elacs. I had it cranked up, it was hot out, and the doors on my cabinet were shut. I think I just managed to overheat it enough to shut it down.
The Elacs really sound better with this amp than the Monitor Audios. The Monitors are really bright, almost harsh and grainy. Had to swap them back out.