Novice needs Mac Mini and DAC advice

Stereo Boys, I really really need some advice. In the past 18 months, I've loaded all in on this hobby and in that short time span have gone from birth to a full blown, fairly high end system and now I'm integrating a Mac Mini server into the mix. My mind is blown with too much information and I'm losing it over which DAC will give me the best bang with a budget anywhere from $800 to $4000. I'm told that the Ayre and Wavelength don't really outperform the lower cost DACs by a huge margin. I need a shot of the truth. And I'm looking for plug and play. I'm not that conversant with all the technical science involved in all of this. I just want a clean, high res sound. Please help!!
moonshot
Greg;

Bob Hovanes KZOK - KISW - Then I moved from raising hell to raising 9 year old twins - Payback time.

-Bob
Don't forget the April Music Eximus DP1. It has all you need in one package. No kidding. Read the Six Moons very detailed review and see why it was their top choice among many of the DAC's mention here.
I stream lossless FLAC files from my iMac through a Scott Nixon TD2.2 tube DAC with the 4Xac power supply upgrade and it sounds amazing. For a quality DAC well under $1000, I haven't found a better sounding one than Scott's. I like the fact that each one is hand built by him, the designer.
Lewinskih01: So sorry. I haven't read this post in a while. I'm running Pure Music. A friend just told me he likes Audirvana over PM hands down. I went to Audirvana's website and they list Mac 10.6 or later. I have a 10.5. I don't think I will be able to get Audirvana to work on my computer. I'm not knowledgeable in computers at all so I guessing no???
Devilboy, I have been listening to the Octave for several weeks now and I am really impressed! Two weeks ago I bought the clock for my Evo and all I can say is WOW! I did not think it would make much difference, but man was I wrong. My system has never sounded better and I'm really glad I have forums like this to get info. from my fellow fanatics.

Bob, if your out there, what did you end up getting?