Nottingham Spacedeck vs Rega Planar 8 vs Technics SL1200G

Hey Everyone,

An analogue newbie needs your advice.

Firstly I am not looking for any TT recommendations other than these 3.

My system is Devore O96, and the amplification would be either Lyngdorf 3400/Coincident Frankenstein combo or a Shindo pre/amp combo (forthcoming). The phono stage is TBD.

The sound I like is rich, full-bodied, with a good bass (I love percussion, and the double-bass instrument and  Mingus is my fav jazz artist). I am very sensitive to even a hint of brightness. I don't care about the typical audiophile presentation -- gobs of detail and soundstage but no soul.

My music of choice is jazz, vocals and small-scale instrumentals. No rock, no pop, no western classical.

Would love your thoughts on these 3 choices.

Since I am a newbie, easy setup is big win, which might tilt me towards the Rega or Technics, but with Nottingham I have a great dealer support that I would completely miss out on if I went with Technics (no Technics dealer in a 5000 mile radius).

I used to own a Rega RP6, so am familiar with Rega sound, and like it. But my RP6 was bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777) so sold it a few years ago. So I want a TT that will compete with any sub-10000$ DAC.

Looking forward to your thoughts that will help me scratch my analog itch.

essrand

Showing 7 responses by uberwaltz

Good to hear Joe.

Debating my next cart and so far it's down to a Soundsmith or Kiseki for the Nottingham.
Why would anyone buy a TT with rubber band when they can have a direct drive?
I cover both bases but there are way too many belt drives out there to be quite so disparaging about them.
No desire to hijack this thread but just have standard Spacedeck and Spacearm combo with a Walker motor controller. Using ZYX RS50mk2 cart right now and pretty happy.
But always interested in New ideas and ways to better the SQ the first time around.

And I hear you on needle drop, that headshell with no finger loop is annoying! Now I use glasses AND small led flexlight that is mounted on top shelf just for that purpose!
@orthomead. 
Do you use the PurpleHeart on the standard Spacearm?
I was thinking my next move might be to upgrade the arm on my Spacedeck rather than a more expensive cart but if it is working well on a 3.5k cart...….
Careful Joe, you will have all the buying used cart haters pouring vitriol on your head saying things like that!

Lol.

Seriously I was considering trying a Soundsmith MI cart out on my Spacedeck so please let me know how it goes!
Read of lots of people using 10 inch vinyl as a mat, it's not uncommon although I have never tried it yet.
I obviously must vote for the Nottingham!
Own a Spacedeck cw with Spacearm, many say the arm is the weakest link but I have had no reason to change it yet, maybe some time in the future.
Very sturdy troublefree deck. Big plus was adding a Walker motor controller.
Also I run everything through an Equicore 1800 power conditioner so likely got as good a power feed to the motor as I am ever going to get.
Presently running a ZYX RS50 mc cart. Have not experimented with any vintage mm carts on here, I do that on my Denon DD deck.
Considered upgrading from the Nottingham a few months ago and then sanity returned! It's here to stay.