Not Another NuForce thread......

Ok, first I am not shill or related to, or affiliated with NuForce in any way...I just thought that we should have a thread to discuss the V2...

I just placed the Reference 9 SE "V2" in my system after living with the NuForce 9 SE for the past year and auditioning the Reference 9 V2 for the past 2 months...

I am putting out there for comment and debate that the Reference 9 SE V2 is one of the top 5 best amplifiers out there and currently available. (I personally think that it one of the top 3, but I am leaving room for argument)

Sitting in my room last night I was reminded of one of those transforming audio experiences. My first ones was couple of hours with the Sinus Faber Amati Homage pushed with a full compliment of the top of the line ML gear all with in a perfectly treated room....My experience with the Reference 9 SE V2 was like that...

Please comment if you are able on the V2 in general, what was your experience?? Are your thought of the Reference 9 SE V2 the same??
jb8312

Showing 7 responses by jp1208

Someone in here mentioned the Parasound A21 bettering a Nuforce amp. I have a Parasound A21 and it runs my rear speakers for movies. It is like a Turbo Carrera racing a stock VW. Now, Linn Klouts bi-amped sound more real and involving compared to the Ref 9's. The Klouts have much more texture in the critical midrange and superb staging. More of an involving jump factor. There is not much you can do for the A21. Way too much grain. Very hard to believe somone mentioned an A21 to a Nuforce anything.
Audiooracle, Nuforce 9.02's. You have to bi-amp the Linn Klouts to match the Nuforce's depth. The Klouts have more of the midrange magic or realism. Both are extended on top and the Nuforce has deeper low end. It is the middle frequencies that separate the two the most. I am not going to explain the micro dynamics for the amps. LetÂ’s just say both amps are very good. I have not heard the SE version and maybe I should have upgraded the 9.02's to SE and then to SEv2's. If the V2's extend more in the upper and lower frequencies and keep the delicacy on top with much more added weight or texture in the middle then I guess I would have to demo. I think there should be a little jump factor or a slight forwardness in the music and the Nuforce as good as it is did not have this. As you know, to each there own in what they feel gives them musicality. To me getting the most transparency you can get without losing all the middle is what I like. Vocals don't seem so real without the texture and weight in the middle. I will give up some transparency for texture any day. IT is funny how the adjectives can go on forever describing the sound you want or like. The better the system gets the more adjectives that are added. Anyone want to try and list all adjectives used for musicality? I like using texture because it seems to cover a lot. No texture and you just have a flat window. Some people like this but when I go to watch live music there is nothing flat about it.
I would also like to know which amps did not make the grade compared to the 9SEV2's. Now that Nuforce has entered the 5k region it brings many more big names into the picture on the used market. When you buy used and the name is well known you can usually turn around and sell it for almost what you paid. The 9SEV2 better be in the same ballpark as the 10k plus new amps if they are going to sell new for 5k. I would also like to know how Nuforce stuck $1500 worth of upgrades into that chassis.
Ggil and Stltrains, beyond the transparency these amps can produce did they add some bloom to the mids or give them some texture that they are missing? The amps are good and they do sound nice but after an A/B with some Linn Klouts they did lack in musicality or texture of the instruments. There was a significant difference in how horns and vocals were produced. Great size on the Nuforce and smooth but lacked the realism. It also seems to me that a tubed pre could be a very good choice. Can you leave the new amps on all the time and just turn off the tubed pre?
Stltrains, Do you turn your pre-amp off and leave the amps on. I thought turning off the pre and leaving the Nuforce amps on was not advised. I would not want to leave a tube pre on all the time.

If there is better attack in the instruments then my guess is they have studied other amps to try and give better musicality and texture in the midrange. More attack to me leads to a livlier slightly forward presentation. This is good actually and peaks my interest. It is that little fuzz around certain vocals and instruments that brings me closer to realism or a live performance. Not being in your face but just being there.
Jim, are you using the 9SEV2's with your 10t's? Did you have the V1's before?
Jim, thanks, for the update. I may try and send a pair of the Ref9's and have them upgraded to the 9SE V2's. They are pretty fair regarding upgrades and I believe Nuforce can take them up to this level. Does anyone know the answer to this?