No more music CDs without copy protection

'No more music CDs without copy protection,' claims BMG unit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/27960.html
ikarus

Showing 1 response by tok20000

BMG has no foresight.

Some hacker will break their copy protection, and it will be all over the web in a blink of an eye.

This happened with DVDs. The motion picture industry thought they had the silver bullet when they created the DVDD standard. Little did they know the sheer willpower and ingenuity that exists in the world. What can be locked can always be unlocked. It is a very simple concept.

Sony really has the best strategy to keep their stuff copy protected in the long run. If they control the SACD medium, and stop folks from creating SACD writers, it is going to be next to impossible for the consumer to 'digitally' copy an SACD. Some hacker may be able to do it, but I am sure it is going to require some pretty sophisticated hardware (ultra modified). Because Sony is controlling both the digital format and the hardware if they protect the distribution and licensing of it correctly, the average consumer is not going to be able to digitally copy SACD.

I am not endorsing SACD or Sony's methods, but I am just stating the facts like I see them.

If music production companies really want to protect their music from digital copying, then they are going to have to flip to a different format. No matter how much copy protection that one puts on the software on a CD, someone will be able to defeat it using a PC with a CDRW drive.

KF