Newbie: Entry-level monoblock amps

Hi there!

First-time user and first post. Looking into monoblock power amps or stereo amps at maybe $2.5-5k to power a set of Thiel PCS bookshelf speakers.

Heard good things about Emotiva XPA-1s, but what is the general audiogon consensus about the company and the brand?

Should I instead look at a things like a 10 year-old ML or 5 year-old Bryston?

Thanks for your help!
aik
Hi AIK

Man do you have A LOT of choices either (solid state or tubes) given your generous budget IMO.

I say do a search for monoblock or mono in the classified sections for either solid state or tube amps and see what is in your budget. Research models you like from there. Also search the forum archives. There is lots of info there. Search for your speakers and see what previous members have stated they used with it. You can search for the amps you are interested in there too. I'm sure there is an old thread that talked about them.

Regarding Emotiva. I have their UPA-7 amplifier and enjoy it for HT. With my system the UPA-7 sounds a bit bright for music to me. The XPA-1 amps are nice and well within your budget. Try them out and if you don't like them return them. You would be out shipping but who knows you may like them.

Bryston and McIntosh are hard to beat though.

Best of luck with your search.
Oops sorry. I meant to type Mark Levinson. I had McIntosh on the brain from another thread.
Wow -- thank you all so much for the responses and the warm welcome.

1) consensus seems to be at least try the Emotiva; at worst you're out shipping

2) bryston, ML hard to beat.
McIntosh, Wyred4Sound, Odyssey, Forte and NuForce also good.

3) Bryston 7ST (not SST) seems to be going about ~3k. Is the SST really that much better?

So at this point the plan is:

1) try the emotiva
2) find a used bryston or ML on audiogon. Any particular models other than the 4sst? :)

Thank you all so much again!
Post removed