New Tom Petty

Well, what do you think? Bought it last night, have'nt gotten to it yet,but from what I've read about it, sounds very interesting....
winoguy17
She's The One. Nice golf shot there, Loomis. My favorite TP album. Very under-rated. Love the loose feel.

Kind of underwhelmed with Mojo. Maybe it is just me, but it is not growing on me. I find I have been more focused on the new Exile on Main Street rather than his new album. Love the grungey feel of Exile and superb playing over many genres (gospel, blues, country, rock)--forgot how great an album that one was. Mojo has those moments, but in spurts.
Agree with Shadorne that Mike Campbell is very tasteful player--wished he would pull a Keith from time to time and really drive a song.
For me Petty's main limitation is as a lyricist. So many cornpone daddys, mamas, devils moonshine. More self-pity than blues when suffering meaness, hurt & the high cost of living. So much runnin' from the law in flashes of freedom that feel more like California angst along the worn-out path of '70s Eagles. The musical arrangements and playing on Mojo have the high style and rootsy poise of Dylan's last few. And of course Petty can't escape his vocal similarity to Dylan. However as a lyricist he always suffers in the comparison and reads like a sheep in wolf's clothing.
Picked up Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers,"Mojo" on 180 gram vinyl. They did a really nice job on this one. It sounds great, and Mike Campbell's '59 Les Paul is captured particularly well. Read the full review on Myvinylreview: REVIEW: Tom Petty--Mojo 180 gram vinyl
My copy of Mojo on vinyl arrived yesterday afternoon.

Played it twice. A solid recording for sure but let's not get carried away folks.

It's good but hardly great.

IMO/YMMV
Agreed. I would not classify it as a "demo" type recording that one might reach for to try and impress someone - it lacks the articulate detail one has come to expect from a carefully crafted and engineered album where separate recordings of individual instruments are mixed together (with plenty of reverb and studio effects to boot).

However, as a recording of a band playing together live (apparently with little or no overdubs on most tracks) it clearly stands out.