New to Preamp - Preamp suggestion around 10k

Hello all! I am new to this site, and preamp. Thiss might be niche, but I am using a Stax headphone with its amp, which has a bypass function for external preamp. I am trying to add a slight bit of warmth, plus better dynamics and imaging.

Currently I have found some good ones (and available), from what I've seen on this site, as follows:

Rogue Audio RP-9

Cary SLP-05 (around 11k with the "ultimate upgrade")

I've also seen ARC Ref 6 suggested, but there seems to be a lack of sellers in my place. As for SLP-05, the distributor at my place said there was no demo, even for the standard version......which left me with RP-9 for audition. Would much appreciate your opinions on them, and any alternatives!

Thank you in advance!

128x128cming0038

I suggest you take a look at Thomas Mayer's 10y Line Preamp.

https://www.vinylsavor.com/

His tube gear is hand built by him to custom order with numerous options available.
He is a very experienced world class engineer and designer. The parts and build quality are at the highest level. He is even producing his own tubes (Elrog brand). How many tube amp designer/builders are doing that?

You mentioned being in Asia and I believe he has a shop representing him in Hong Kong where you could audition his designs. It might also be possible in Singapore but maybe only Hong Kong.

You can email him to find out more. He answers promptly and deals personally with each customer. Very few (if any) others offer all that.

I purchased a used Pass XP-32 for 11.5K.  I would highly recommend it.  Great sound stage.  Super quiet.  Very natural sounding.  This was a significant step up over my Cary SLP 05 with the upgrade and NOS tubes.  

I have a solution for about 8k

Angela-Gilbert Yeung

C318 Line Stage Preamplifier

We have to make a lot of decisions every day - 1% or 2% milk? Chicken or beef? Donut or Bagel? White socks or black socks? When it comes to preamplifiers, the usual question is, "Tubes or solid state?".  And I say "Why not both?". The C318 offers the opportunity to create the perfect sound by offering separate 6922 and 6SN7 tube circuits, and a solid state circuit. Each circuit has its own volume control so that you can mix and match to create the ultimate tonal balance for your speakers, your room, and your music. Standard inputs are two balanced and three RCA, along with both both RCA and balanced outputs, and a separate line output. The C318 also has a beefy separate power supply, and rear panel jacks for both SP Capacitor Pack and FCF plug and play upgrades. I should also mention that it sounds amazing.

@cming0038 If your interest/curiosity is are leaning toward EAR, I am\very familiar with the Brand as the Companies models are owned within my local HiFi Group.

I know the Acute very well and am Very Impressed, there is a infrequent attendee who has The Head SUT and this is rated as the best SUT to be demo'd during the get togethers.

There is Power Amp' Owners with models from the past and recently one the most recent models from the Brand has been bought in place of a earlier produced model.

Additionally there is a Tim De Paravicini Designed 300b and a Imported VAC Amp.

There was a want to bring in a New Pre Amp, where money was not too much of a constraint for a option on a New Pre Amp' for the owner of the exchanged model EAR Power Amp. The monies available for the Pre Amp' was working towards £7K, which shares a similarity to your own situation.

A host of Pre Amp's were available for Home Demo's of which one was the EAR 868. Out of the Commercial Pre's being demo'd the EAR was the one that impressed the most. Note: The 868 is not a Lush or Rich Toned Pre Amp, it has clarity and detail retrieval with unnoticeable smearing affecting the micro details.

Here is a curve ball, there was also at the Pre Amp Demo's a PASS KB1 Pre Amp present, and it delivered in a manner that was not easy to overlook. It was also commanding a cost that was very very attractive, and suggested methods to upgrade were also made known and the cost that would be needed to include these.

The EAR owner has chosen the Pass KB1 as their Pre Amp and a few other Valve Power Amp owners within the Group are also using the Pass KB1. At present I am having a Balanced Design of the Pre Amp' produced to couple to my monoblock Power Amp's. 

A Pass KB1 can be acquired for a very respectable outlay. If it does not deliver to your preference, it will sell on and a valuable experience will have been encountered.