New speakers for turntable ($500 range)

I’m looking for new speakers to go with my turntable, and hoping to stay below $600.  I also just picked up a Keiid amp. Any speakers you’d recommend?  What should I consider for speakers in this price range? How important is speaker cable?  Currently running 16 gauge copper rockfish.
time2listen
Upgrading the amp will pay dividends with the speakers.  

The LP60 will be serviceable for now. The AT LP120 is an excellent starter TT. A steal @ $250. Significantly better than the LP60. I prefer it to the Pro-ject TTs at/ around the same price.  

But you can't do everything at once.

Don't get too worked up about cables. Good basic stuff will do you fine.  

Rich
I think mesch has given you some very solid advice. With his suggestions, you get out from under your current amp,and stay within your budget. My brother owns the yammy A-S301 and has it paired with Wharfedale Reva -1’s. It sounds very nice,for not a lot of cash. 
These go on sale every few weeks for $300. Grab them when they do. They are amazing. Check out the reviews on YouTube too. https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+530.html
Thanks all for the great advice and recommendations.  Time for me to digest it all and make a decision.  I’ll post what I end up getting.