New Oppo DV-980H

I have just ordered the new Oppo DV-980H for budget two-channel music playback. It will replace my excellent DV-970HD I hope (as long as it sounds better)!

I will write a report after it has burnt in.

Anyone else using one yet? Got any set-up suggestions for stereo playback?
adamj

Showing 2 responses by adamj

Hi Jack,

Yes! It is here, burnt in and performing wondefully! The overall performance is a massive improvement on the 970HD. There is more warmth across the frequency spectrum and the bass is much more solid and goes deeper than before. The thin sound of the 970HD is replaced with a sound much like that from the excellent Eastsound E5 Signature ($900ish).

What I would also add is that the package as a whole is much better thought out and finished too. I think there is a better synergy with my other equipment (Klipsch/modded Trends Audio) than I have had with any other CDP I have tried so far in this set-up... so if you use gear like mine then this is a safe bet!

Right, back to work for me. More thoughts soon.
Hi guys, seen as you are discussing the volume control I thought I would add some more thoughts on the 980H.

I used my 970HD direct in the Trends Audio T-amp (configured as a poweramp). Wih that unit there was a lot of noise along with the signal, and the noise was in inverse proportion to volume... this sucked, as most of the time I don't listen at high volume.

With the 980H the noise was gone. Completely. However, inserting the new Kingrex pre-amp between the (980H and the Trends amp made a HUGE difference. I used to be convinced by the economy and logic of a "direct to power-amp" approach but now I have to say I am amazed. If and I mean IF! there was any loss of detail, siblance, depth, width or ANYTHING else from adding the pre then my ears are not good enough to hear it. More than that, everything was enhanced by the pre-amp.

Clearly this is probably more to do with the pre-amp than the fact I was running the 980H at full volume, but it is worth noting that the "direct" approach is, in my opinion, of no quantifiable benefit. Moreover, adding a good pre-amp can be the start of something beautiful!