New McIntosh MA252

Wondering if anyone has listened to the new MA252. I have an MA6500 pushing 200 watts into my SF Olympica llls which I think sound great. Question - would the tube preamp on the new MA252 add noticeable warmth, richness, sound stage presence? Thanks. 

128x128teboerio

Showing 4 responses by teboerio

I’m most interested In your comparison to a ss amp. Maybe you were prev using a ss amp in your office. I’m using a MA-6500 that produces about 160 watts at 4 ohms and wonder if the preamp tunes in MA-252 produce a fuller warmer richer more detailed sound.  That’s not asking too much, right? 
Well, I did it. Bought the MA252 on 12/26/18 at full retail. Saved $500 on the Jan 1, 2019 price hike. 

I’m currently just listening to my Sonus Fabrer Olympica l’s (just moved to a new house and the lll’s are still in boxes in the garage). 

I do have a new old favorite Neil Young album “Live at Massey Hall” recorded circa 1971. This album played through my SONY 300 CD player sounded really,  really good with my just returned refurbished MA6500 straight from Binghamton. (Need plenty of shuffled choices from Beatles to Stones to Tull to Nilsson to Russell to Pink Martini, to classical, jazz, Sinatra, Cole, Martin, Nina Simone and have no patience to change discs constantly.) 

Well - the MA252 grabbed Neil and his guitar out of somewhere in the room and off the stage and set him down right in front of me, couldn’t have been more than 6 feet away. 

The difference in clarity, presence, high frequencies, and bass response with all tone controls set flat is not to be believed. I normally always kept the MA6500 “Loud” button on at low to moderate volume levels to fill out the sound in the room. Absolutely not needed with the MA252. 

Now, I’ll have to wonder if it’s those little tubes or simply 20+ years of newer technology. 

Nevermind, after no more than ten minutes listening to the MA252, I’ll never look back. Look for the refurbished MA6500 for sale on this site soon. 

PS - the new MA252 almost seems a little too bright, too near. I’ll get use to it!

teboerio

Hey donjr,

yes, simple and elegant. But I’m gonna miss those big baby blues and a separate button or knob for each function. But overall, incredible sounding, like they figured out how to put more music in there than the original recording. Actually, just great to hear so much fullness and clarity from the same Music you’ve heard so many times!! 

teboerio