new laser/assembly for Cary 303/300 cdp

The laser is going south on my CDP giving me a lot of "no disc" messages. Just wondering can the laser or laser assembly be sourced a lot cheaper anywhere else but Cary?
128x128pehare

Showing 4 responses by radni

Pehare
My post may be little late , but thought to share my experience with Cary CD player CD-303. CD303 uses Philips drive mechanism model CDM12.1 . It uses Laser Lens Assembly part no. VAM 1202/12 which fits into CDM12.1 drive.
After purchasing from Cary Audio in around year 2002 , within 1 year I had problem with laser lens . Since I am based in India , it was not possible for me to send the CD303 to Cary, so I purchased from local Philips part VAM 1202/12 ( price about USD 35-40) and replaced old defective part. It worked great for 13 years and now about two months back , again the laser lens has gone bad . Philips has stopped production of this part , so purchased Chinese fake from Mumbai (price USD 12.00) but it did not work perfectly well ( "skips " occasionally during play ) . So now I ordered from eBay what is said/claimed to be genuine Philips part VAM1202/12 ( USD52) , still waiting for it to arrive , will see how it goes.
Pehare, if I may suggest, you just find out from your Cary manual what CD drive mechanism it uses , mostly it should be Philips CDM12.1 , and in that case all you need is to replace laser lens assembly VAM1202/12 which are available a plenty on eBay . Just take a search of Philips VAM1202 on eBay and you will see.
Pehhare,
In case your CARY CD player CD-303 has has Philips drive model CDM12 , here is a link which may be of interest to you.

http://www.petervis.com/CD_and_DVD_Players/philips-vam1202-transport/philips-vam1202-transport.html
Oh Yes, mine is 303-100 . Yours being 303-300 is having different drive . You have been very lucky to locate a DVD player with same part for replacement giving a new lease of life to your otherwise very good CD player .