New expensive power cord for amp and no change in sound?

I bought new an expensive(for me) well known and reviewed power cord for my very good amp and plugged it directly onto the wall socket. After a couple of weeks of daily use I hear no change in the sound quality from a $500 cord. I don’t want to name it for fear of getting my thread deleted. You would know it or at least be aware of the company. Did I throw away several thousand dollars? Before I get the snake oil answer I want to let you know that I bought an upgraded cord for my pre as suggested by the pre’s manufacturer and am pleased with the results.

I guess for full disclosure the amp’s manufacturer said don’t bother. But I had had good luck with the pre so I thought it would be a good idea.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

roxy1927

Maybe I'm ignorant, but why would a power chord make a difference to sound? Sure, if the original chord cannot handle the current demand, there would be a voltage drop in the power supply rail but that's only at very loud levels. For 99% of the time there would be zero difference.

With my "Engineer" brain, I never believed any of this stuff about power cords sounding better/worse, or even different. Then, after chasing an intermittent problem/funny sound, for several months, in an Mc60, I became a believer. I had a cruddy power cord. Changing to a new "high current" cord, the problem immediately vanished and never returned in the 30 years I used that amp.

So yean. Power cords. Relevant.

"Maybe I’m ignorant, but why would a power chord make a difference to sound?"

- If you are a scientist an EE or an electrician, please risk that overwhelming temptation to try to figure that out. It just gets in the way of enjoying the sound of your system. All of us hear things differently and our brains process them differently, it makes us all unique and similar at the same time. If you try it and can’t hear a difference, fine. If you can’t fine too. Listen to eurorack!

Back in March 2022: a thread about power cords and break/burn-in was started.

I hate to type, so: I'm going to copy/paste some of my speculations.

That a highly complex musical signal, MIGHT affect Poynting vectors and signal speeds*, in interconnects, in a much more profound manner than a simple AC (ie: a fixed 60/50 Hz) signal, in a PC, seems likely (at least) to me, as; in EVERY formula regarding *those two, a signal's frequency (frequencies) always factors in greatly.

Further: the above and what I'll c/p (seems to me) lends credence to how the application of a stronger, DC voltage/field, outside a dielectric (ala Synergistic MPC and Audioquest DBS systems), might stabilize those vectors and signal speeds, PERHAPS eliminating some time smear and, "burn-in". 

rodman99999

5,456 posts

03-31-2022 at 12:13am 

@holmz-

Bear with me a minute, in my folly, far as a possibility on why a power cord might make a difference.

Based on some of the theories on how electricity works, simplified:

The conductor acts as a waveguide for the signal/voltage.

Within the conductor: when excited by an AC current, electrons oscillate, generating photons/electromagnetic waves that travel, always from the source, to the load.

Keep in mind: all signals (ie: music, AC) are sinusoidal  waves

Those photons/electromagnetic waves travel through and outside the dielectric, which (according to it's permittivity/Poynting vectors) will have various effects on those waves.    One of the most obvious is the dielectric's effect on the speed of the signal.

The better designers of printed circuit boards, even take the above into account, when choosing materials for their products.

I posted a link on the first page that included data on the manufacture of semiconductor chips and what was observed when materials were cryo'd, during the process.     Short version: better contact/lowered resistance between layers.

Under the scanning microscope: much smoother surfaces observed.

I would hope, by now, it's a given that various cable constructions, twists, braids, etc, can make for a cleaner transmission of signals (ie: Litz, etc).            

Just seems to me (a hypothesis): given the above (some theories and some things established/measured/proven), it's not a big stretch to believe a power cord, built of the best conductor (ie: Ohno CC silver), wrapped in a very low dielectric coefficient dielectric (ie: Teflon), cryo'd for the smoothest transfer of those photons/magnetic waves and twisted in some crazy way, might not smooth out some of perturbations/noise, from the crap an AC waveform had to go through, back to it's generator.  (run-on, much?)

I haven't tested this, actually comparing two circuits, but: it wouldn't surprise me, if a power supply that used a choke, would be less affected by a better power cord, as the former can eliminate a lot of the high freq garbage, etc, that's either created by, or makes it through all the big converting/filtering stuff, in the power supply, before.

Never thought about PCs before the good stuff hit the market, but: the Physics/QED made sense.

I tried 'em, I like 'em and the science makes my head feel better.

Don't care WHAT it does to anyone else's!

rodman99999

5,456 posts

03-31-2022 at 12:27am 

OH, and: it takes some time for the dielectric to form, take a charge, polarize, or however one chooses to define the process, when a dielectric is subjected to electromagnetic waves, which affects the Poynting vectors, measurably/predictably.

The lower the material’s dielectric constant: the longer that takes.

PC (interconnect/etc)  burn-in?    Maybe?

Happy listening!