New efficient speakers - best way to keep noise floor down?

I will be getting some new speakers soon and they will be a lot more efficient (98db compared to 86db) My analog front end is very quiet right now, but I'm thinking the noise floor is going to be a lot more noticeable with the new efficient speakers. Just to get ahead of the situation (in case it ends up bugging me) what is the best way to lower that noise floor? I already have a TT and cart that I love and I also have a good record cleaner, so I'm hoping it may be as simple as focusing on the phono pre-amp? Is that a correct assumption? If so, who makes the quietest noise floor phono stage for MM (and I am talking bang for the buck here - under $700 I'm hoping?) If not a phono stage, what else should I be looking into? Thanks!
bstatmeister

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

Much depends on the cartridge’s output, and how much gain is required to satisfy your SPL cravings, from there. I wrestled with low output MC carts(.25 - .3mV), for a while, with my phono stage set to 68db gain. When I’d turn up the juice, could hear the 60Hz, picked up by the arm/cart/wiring, between tracks(low level, but there / no noise is good noise). When I switched from 86db/2.83V to 93db/2.83V speakers, that was more pronounced. With a Soundsmith Aida(2.2mV), and the ability to reduce the phono stage’s gain, the noise at my typically high listening settings(master volume), is now virtually nil(with ear at speaker). BUT- don’t burn that bridge, ’til you come to it(relax). Given you’re using an MM cart and have no noise issues now, you’ll probably be alright. You’re going to need much less twist on your volume control, to get the same SPLs, with those new speakers. If you do have noise, be certain it’s only related to the phono input, before taking steps. High sensitivity speakers will reveal noise from any source in your component chain. Happy listening!