New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Showing 5 responses by old_ears

yyzsantabarbara,  After listening thru the 3 FPGA "tunings" of late on my Pontus II, I agree...very nice to have a manufacture/distributer that offers free upgrades and tries to accommodate differing ears.  The FPGA programing can create quite different sounding output.  The I2s/HDMI connection to my OPPO 85 was a main reason for the purchase...very satisfied!

@acmaier3   The Pontus II is indeed an R2R DAC, but the ladder is controlled by an FPGA chip that has 3 different firmware editions available with different sound outputs.

@ acmier3,  I'm no engineer but here's the descriptive post from Alvin at Vinshine Audio:

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/so/adOWUmVqi?languageTag=en&cid=110512b0-13c8-4484-ab7f-8c1a5d515110

I have a photo of the FPGA chip in my DAC.  It is not programed as an analog filter but the master controller of the resistor ladder.  I know you are thinking of pure FPGA DACs like the Cord Electronic line...not the same architecture. 

The point of my posts here was to agree with @yyzsantabarbara saying FPGA DAC are the future.  Maybe I misunderstood his/her statement but I'd like to think more DAC manufactures will future proof their offerings by following Denifrips/Vinshine's policy of free upgrades and different "tunings" to choose from.  This is possible with pure FPGA DACs as well as FPGA "controlled" devices.

@milpai  Hi, my OPPO 85 does not have USB out but with a small inexpensive Chinese HDMI to I2s breakout box you bypass the onboard DACs and pass a full res digital signal to to my Pontus II.  It provides the very best sound to my Aria phones.  Redbox CD or SACD.  More and more manufactures are providing for I2s connections.  Denifrips now has it on their least expensive DAC.  Holo May also provides a HDMI/I2s input among others...I'm sure even higher end units would benefit from this protocol.