New Class D amplifiers

Hello. I'm very interested in getting your opinion on the newer Class D amplifiers.  There has been a couple of very positive reviews (by Guttenberg) of the Bel Canto C6i and NAD M23.  These, and perhaps some others are offering new technology that significantly lower the class D noise level and other drawbacks.    

I currently use a Class A amp, Pass Labs INT-25 (with Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers) which has a wonderful sound. But I am transitioning to another location, and due to using Roon primarily I find that this system stays on most of the day.  Due to heat and power usage of Class A amplifiers, I'm interested in translating to Class D if I find something comparable.

128x128grantgg

Showing 2 responses by erictal4075

@grantgg: I am surprised that neither you, in your quite lengthy list of Class-D amps (including integrated models), nor has anyone else contributing to this forum’s thus-far two pages of discussion on this topic, mentioned the now quite widely advertised HiFi Rose RA180 integrated amplifier. which is admittedly a rather unusual-looking piece of Class-D audio equipment with its gear-driven volume control and other SteamPunk-like features (some liken its appearance to the high-end Swiss manufacturer Nagra’s equipment).

This Seoul, South Korea-based company claims that it is using a new variety of solid-state transistors, gallium nitride (GaN) FET transistors in place of the standard silicon ones, which for technical reasons are claimed to greatly improve the sound of traditional Class-D amplifiers, which suffer from time-delay problems associated with using silicon-based transistors.

Julie Mullins of Stereophile Magazine published a review of the HiFi Rose RA180 integrated amplifier on December 2, 2022 - take a look at her in-depth review here: HiFi Rose RA180 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com.

I’m surprised no one else posting here has mentioned this particular integrated amp, which is quite feature-laden, including its ability to drive biamplifed speakers.

@kuribo: Then, how do you account for why gallium nitride (GaN) FET transistors are being touted as "all the rage" among afficionados of Class-D amplifiers these days (witness the Stereophile review of the HiFi Rose RA180)?

Could you please cite one or more examples of those class-D amplifiers which you say are the "best performing class d amps on the market," and if possible, describe what kinds of silicon-based devices and/or alternative technologies their manufacturers are using instead. Thank you!