New Cary DMS 700

I have the 600 and it is a great piece. 

The 700 looks to be on the next level. Ladder dac

https://carydirect.com/shop-now/dms-700.html
128x128benzman

Showing 42 responses by benzman

The 600 sounded good out of the box but probably a couple of weeks for top performance.  

Follow the link. Retail 7995. On pre sale 5995. I think it is going to be killer. 
What’s kinda cool with the Cary,if the remote talks with any of the other equipment ( as mine did with the Rogue RP 7) their is a second remote code. 
Funny had the Lumin T2 next to the Cary 600 and the Cary Killed it. Cary much more robust. Lumin would sound good for a half an hour then hurt your ears.  In the right system though the Lumin is a great sounding player.  You would have to start at the player and work backwards. 
Lumin T2 is definitely not plug and play. Plus it was a bitch to sell.
That’s cool. Know you are excited. Rip some of your great files to a SD card   You will be amazed. 
Tough to compare the Lumin T2 to the Cary 700 if the Cary is anything like the DMS 600. 
You cannot just swap players.  They are so different, to get each of their best you have to match the electronics, speakers and cabling.
The Lumin is super detailed, The Cary is much more full sounding but not as highly detailed.  So if you have a system that sounds great with the Cary it will get tiresome with the Lumin. If it sounds great with the Lumin, you may find it not as exciting with the Cary.  Both are great players. The Cary will be much more forgiving in a system, but the Lumin will sound fantastic with properly matched cabling , etc.     
Audiotroy,
You are no longer a Cary dealer correct?  You are a Lumin dealer though, correct?
By meaning plug and play I mean into an existing system SQ wise. Not hardware.
Most systems will have to be tuned to fit the Lumin. The Cary will sound good in any system its installed. I had the the T2 paired with the Magico S3 with a MicroZotl pre and Kismet Mono blocks. Audience AU24SX loom for cabling. All pretty decent stuff.  7 out of 10 songs would be great. The other 3 would irritate you.  A detailed cable loom  for the T2 is not good. Silver would be not be a good match.  All I am saying is that the Cary will fit many more systems than the Lumin with out re configing your whole system.    Sabre Vs AKM are two totally different sonics regardless of implementation.   Sabre more detailed, AKM a little smoother. All depends on what you like and the rest of  your set-up.

This is a thread about the Cary DMS 700.  Not the  Lumin T2 
Thank you for respecting that going forward.   

Bro are you voice to texting?  Do you maybe have spell check?  
 I got rid of the Magico's and I agree they where not a great sounding speaker. Their series II are much better.
The DMS 500 is ions ago. 2016  The new Cary's sound much better.
The T2 is super detailed so a more natural Dac is going to sound a little boring. I have heard many people say they have bought the Lumin's and couldn't wait to sell them.  Its the Sabre dac. To some people its like nails on a chalkboard.
Like I said if you have the right equipment the T2 is a nice dac/streamer.
Everything else in the system has to be dark or neutral. I have been thru the Aries, Aurenders, Lumins, and the Cary to me is the best sounding DAC/ player/streamer in my system. 

Some fluff for sure. I think the team at Cary are very excited about their new player.  30 day trial so kinda risk free. 

Street price will be under 6k and Cary will sell a ton of them. Much better sounding than the Aurender A10 and the Lumin T2.  Plus more features 
I don’t think the Rasperry Pi crowd is their target audience. It’s guys like me that want a one box solution. I have been thru the seperate streamer/ Dac/ uSB/ Regen/seperate power supplies/ system. The Cary is a great looking unit that sounds great and removes clutter.  
I really liked the Lumin T2 but would have to start over with Speakers and cabling to make it sound good long term in my system. The DMS 600 has a much fuller sound but lacks a tinge of the detail of the Lumin   The new 700 hopefully has the best of both. Please post thoughts after a week of warm up. The 600 sounded good right out of the box. 
When used as a Dac it will do DSD over its digital inputs 

AES/EBU, Coaxial, Toslink operating at Sample Frequency (Fs) from 44.1 kHz to 384 kHz, 16 bit to 24 bit, DSD64, DSD128
We will find out soon enough.  Been quite a few units sold. 
The Aurender A10 is 5500
The Lumin T2 is 4500
Ps Audio Direct Stream w/ bridge is 6899
Mytec Manhattan w/ network card is 6999

Even though Cary will tell you to run a preamp for best results, I ran the DMS 600 directly into a pair of monos for a year. I the added a swarm sub system and it was easier for me to integrate a pre. I added a Rogue RP 7 tube linestage. It added a better bottom ( without the swarm ) and a little more air.  It was not night and day,so the Cary sounds damn good as a stand-alone and with the connectivity you can certainly use it as a digital pre-amp.   

Street price will be right in line with features and SQ.  
I have a 1tb ssd connected with USB. Also a 128 G SD card into its integrated SD player. You can use its digital usb out if you want to use it just as a streamer or any of its digital ins to use as a Dac.  Very flexible peice. 
Looks like retail on the Cary and the seperates are real close. Street price will probably be 1500 cheaper w the Cary.  Now add in an extra  aftermarket power cord a a good usb or hdmi you are adding another 800 or so. 2300 extra but you are getting a ripper and 2 tb ssd.   If the DMS 700 sounds as good as that set I would be ecstatic . 
Do not think any have been shipped yet. Hopefully the 700 will have the detail of the Lumin T2 without the etch over long term listening in a brighter side of neutral system.  The T2 is a real nice player if you have the matching  room/electronics/cabling/speakers.  I think a perfect speaker cable for the T2 would be the Silversmith Fidelium. Very neutral thru the mids and highs with detailed bass that needs to be heard. Excited for the 700 though as I enjoy the 600 and it should be a couple of notches better. 

Larrymanadgn

please try the SD card. The finest sound available on the 600 so sure the same with the 700. 
My thoughts exactly when it came to Cary DMS 600   Can listen forever. No fatigue ever. Install an EtherRegan in front of it for a nice bump in SQ. 
I ran my 600 directly into a pair of Odyssey Kismet extreme monos and it sounded pretty damn good but knew I was losing bits under 80 or so on the volume control.  Inserted a Rogue Rp-7 and boy did the system blossom. The lower end really improved and the tube pre really brought on the magic. The direct volume setting still allows you to adjust the gain to match your system  as it is not a fixed 2volts as with most dacs   
@crowe300

How did you integrate the optical Module?   Router> ethernet cable> Optical Module> Fiber cable>EtherRegan> Sablon> Dac ?

I currently have the Sotm dcbl CAT7.  You really like the Sablon better?
I will give it a try.  
Wish I could help you out Garry.  Cary support is usually pretty good. 
Feeling your frustrations. 
I have my best of the best on a 1tb SSD plugged in to the Cary. Other than more storage what would be the advantage of a Nas if I was only accessing from the Cary?
Cool feature
The DMS-700 has expanded the function of the 3 USB-A and SD Card Slot inputs to be accessible from a networked computer. This means when the DMS is powered on, any storage connected to the DMS will act as a NAS Drive (Network Attached Storage). This allows you to copy your music file directly onto the USB or SD Card from a network computer without needing to disconnect them. This simply turns any USB drive or SD Card connected to the DMS into a NAS drive. Playback from these drives can be direct (computer-less) or monitored and controlled from a computer-based server i.e., JRiver, Twonky, etc., or even via Roon. What’s more, if you have more than one DMS you can play files from one DMS to another
So on the 700 you can combine playlist from Qobuz , Tidal,USB, Network etc ?
that’s huge. 
Mine is coming tomorrow. See how it stacks up against the 600. Have an SR orange fuse waiting. : )
Yea I have an Audience AU 24Se power chord on the Cary. Also an EtherRegen in front of it. Sitting on Stillpoints Ultra Minis.  Everything adds up. 
The EtherRegen in my system is as simple as it gets. Router > EtherRegen> SoTM dCBL-CAT7 cable > Cary DMS 600.  I think it gets me within 5% of the attached drives. Of course the attached drives have Higher resolution files than on Qobuz and Tidal so that may play a part. I have heard that with and LPS and Fiber you can actually surpass locally stored files. The weather delayed the 700 till tomorrow.  It looks so close to the 600 that I thought I could could slip it by the wife. I came clean today and feel like a new man. :) 
Hey Gary. Hard to put a number on it but the EtherREGEN is a solid upgrade for the 640 they are asking. But you can then spend another 1,000 on a LPS and a boutique Ethernet cable. Head over here:   Audiophilestyle.com.  Look for the Uptone sponsored forum   All the info you need and more. 
Have the 700 installed. Sounds pretty good out of the box. Will report after a few days. The app is a big upgrade but was hoping I could have all sources in a DMS playlist but looks like just local attached files . Would have been cool to have Tidal,Qobuz,USB and SD in one playlist. 
Agree w/thyname. You can add all the other goodies down the road. Sablon is another good cable. Supra is pretty nice in the $ 50 dollar range. 
I hear ya Joseph. They say that you listen more attentive to new equipment and maybe thats why there is a perceived improvement. You don't have to listen very hard with the 700. That's going from the 600, so from the 550 you must really be digging it.

I understand up to 7or 8 TB attached storage for USB. Not sure how big a card you can get for SD.  You should have no issues.
 I am hardwired at 2.4 ghz.  Everything runs and sounds pretty damn fine.
I have had streamers from Bryston, Auralic,Aurender, and streamer/ dacs   from Aurender ( A10), Lumin (T2),  and the Cary 600.
The Lumin T2 had wonderful transparency and detail but would get tiring after a while. The 600 did not have quite the transparency but was close and you can listen all day.
The 700 I feel ( 5 days in) has the transparency of the Lumin but the smoothness of the AKM chipset. Really liking the vocals . I would really like to hear the Lumin X1 vs  the Cary 700. Even though the Cary is 6k list cheaper I think it would give it a battle.  I am going to give it a few more days and the install the SR orange fuse. In the past the SR fuses have made a bigger jump in the pre and power amps than in my digital equipment. We shall see  
UPDATE and warning !! Just installed the SR Orange after about 200 hours You only have to remove the 6 perimeter black screws on the bottom of the chassis. The seventh is a silver screw next to the rear left leg DO NOT REMOVE. It is actually the post for the IEC input connecting to the power board. The nut will come off inside the unit and when you flip it over who knows where it will go. I was lucky as it fell right out along with the lock washer. Super easy by just removing the perimeter 6 screws. I won’t comment on sound as I always give the fuses a few days. Just wanted to get this out there.
I would like to edit the first post but once it’s commented on it wont let me. If a mod sees it please remove
thanks,
Russ
cool. I was able to delete the previous post. 
I went from the 600 to 700. 700 sounds better all the way around. Much more defined bass and an improved midrange. Vocals with much more texture. The interface is much improved.  If you are a Roon user I think there would be better ways to upgrade for the price diff. 6k new for the 700 and approx 3500 resale of the 600
I am happy with the 700 for a 1 box solution that sounds really good. 
Definitely upgrade the power cord. I have an Audience au24se MP on mine. You probably can upgrade for a couple of hundred. Check out the used section. A medium rating is fine. You do not need one designed for power amps. I threw a SR orange fuse in mine. Not sure it made a big difference but it didn’t hurt. The 700 stays on 24/7 so sure it’s broken in now and sounds pretty damn good. You made a good move. I know it cost you a few more bucks but the Cary will mate with much more equipment than the Lumin
Sorry I missed this. So 6,000 new vs 3,500 used
the 700 does sound better. I would say 10-15%
the 700 has a much better interface. But if you are using Roon it becomes a moot point. So if I was a Roon user and did not have a hi resolving system and room I would look for a 600 ( although there may be a part that Cary says that can’t get anymore)
But if you have a pretty decent system and can hear changes in your system pretty easily go for the 700. Either way the both sound very good and easy to listen too