Neutral, transparent, warm

I’m wondering if any of you could help me understand better some terms that are often used in trying to describe the sound of a speaker. And, I guess instead of trying to describe these terms which are themselves a description, can you give me some specific examples. First, is there a difference between “neutral” speaker, and one that is considered “transparent”? Second, is it that a speaker is labeled “warm” if the high frequencies are more rolled off than neutral or transparent speakers. Sorry. Too many questions, but I’d be interested in hearing from some of veteran audiophiles. If you don’t want to address that, then how about this. Let’s confine ourselves to floor standing speakers costing up to $3000. New or used. Give me one or two examples that in your opinion epitomizes “Transparent”, one or  two that are good examples of “neutral”, and a couple that are usually described as being “warm”. Thanks.

128x128pascon

Showing 1 response by larry5729

I would listen to a lot of speakers and then chose the one that sounds best to you.  It also depends upon the music you listen.  If you like to hear crisp highs like cymbals then choose tweeters that can produce this sound.  If you have some local sound shops listen and talk to them.  If you don't have good local stereo retailers then jump in the car and visit some.  Sound also depends upon the amplifier driving them.  Each has its own sound.  Try to not make a quick decision.  I would listen to the ones you like best for about two hours.  Bear in mind, when listening can you imagine yourself listening to them for hours or do they either lack something or do they cause hearing fatigue.  Sound should be relaxing to your ears, as you are listening to things you like to hear.