Need some suggestions for a desktop amp.

I'm in need of some ideas/suggestions for a desktop amp. built in DAC would be a plus but not necessary. I used to have a Naim Untitqute driving my Harbeth P3ESR's which are very nearfield. My issue with the Naim is the large form factor which takes up a lot of space on my desk. Although the sound and functionality was great with the built in DAC and all.

The issue is, most amps with a smaller form factor made for desks are Headphone amps and not speaker amps. 

I tried a little Chinese amp but the ChiFi amp I ordered wouldn't work hooked up via USB to my iMac like it was adverstied to. So back it went.

I considered buying some Active Speakers but have never had any experience with them so not sure what direction to go. I love my little Harbeths so would like to keep them but I'm open to making a change if need be.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Nuprime IDA-8. However, I wanted to get others opinions first.

Thank you for your thoughts.

128x128jb505

Showing 9 responses by jb505

My budget is < $2K give or take.

yyz - I’m sure the Benchmark is a great amplifier. It’s a little over my budget. Also it’s a balanced only amp so I would have to buy their dac and I’m up to almost $4k.

Mike - thank you so much for the heads up on the Nuprime. I was really close to pulling the trigger. I’ll wait and shop around to see what other options are available. It’s amazing to me how many headphone amps there are for desktop while not many regular amps. 

yogiboy - I’ve seen the Audiolab in my research but I’ll take another look. Thx.

ghd - you got me thinking about moving it all off to the side and many making space for something a little larger. That would open it up to a lot more options. I do have to think about the wife factor as well. But it may just put me in the same situation as before just with the mess in a different place.

All good suggestions, and thank you for them.

They are all about the same size as the Naim is and thus my issue of crowding me out of my work space.

I’m thinking I can buy some longer speaker cables and possibly move the amp to a corner still within reach to adjust volume and mute during phone calls.

Still thinking about active speakers or maybe just going to headphones. I’ve never been into headphones although I do have a pair hidden in the depths of my closet some where.

I pulled a bonehead move and noticed that I don’t think I can connect my REL sub to the active Quad speakers. I had already confirmed the purchase and sent the money so they’re mine.

I have a few of these stories where I pulled the premature trigger and wound up turning the items around for sale again. Oh well, at least I’m not talking Boulder amps or some really high priced equipment.

So I put my bias aside and also purchased a PS Audio Sprout after a couple of recommendations from this thread. I’ll give both a try and see which ones a like better but I think the sub is really gonna be a must for me.

it probably won’t be the last “oops” purchase I’ll make but quite possibly it will be a happy accident.

Thank you for your response.

I do have a dac ready for use if needed. Not an expensive one but I think it sounds pretty good. I have a REL sub off to the side of the desk and not much room underneath otherwise.

How do you change the volume or mute the system if you need to? Do you use the keys on the computer keyboard or have the Pimaluna volume knob within reach?

I had a thought for a different option. I have a fully restored Marantz 8B amp in my closet that I could use if I could find a table to fit over the REL sub so I could place it on over the sub on a table. Then find a smallish Pre/Dac to fit under my iMac. I'm trying to post a picture of my set up but it won't take my photo.

Thanks. I’ve looked at all the options suggested, a lot of good ones. I’ve read reviews on all of them. One reviewer says all the good things and then Audio Science Review guy says it measures horribly. I know it’s not in the measurements it’s in the sound!

I still haven’t decided on the direction to go.  But leaning towards the Bel Canto or if I could find a used Wyred for 4 Sound mINT amp/dac I may spring for that. I also looked at a Wadia 151 amp/dac combo that looked interesting. 
sometimes I feel like forgetting the whole thing and selling the Harbeths, already sold the Naim, and getting either a Best Buy Klipsch 2.1 system with a Dragonfly or going the active speaker route.

Thank you. I have looked at the sprout. I have a negative bias towards the Sprout and I have no reason for it. For some reason I just can’t get my head around buying the little guy.

I thank everyone for the suggestions. I went a little different direction.
I just purchased some used Quad 9L active speakers to plug into my computer so no amp needed. It will clear up the needed space and save some money in the long run.

Although, I’m going to keep the Harbeths until I get the Quads and give them a go. I may circle back to the amp idea if I don’t care for the Quad actives.

Amp idea if Quads don’t sing to me:

IOS class D or Buckeye amp + SMSL SU-9 dac

I purchased the sprout used. It arrived DOA. So I had to send it to PS Audio for a fix. It is under warranty and the seller paid for shipping to PS.
I bought some Quad powered 9L speakers to give the powered speaker thing a try. They arrived, supposed to be in mint condition, with all original everything. The original box was half gone, it looked like rats had gotten to it. The remote control rubber outside was deteriorated to the point where it is all sticky and no power cords for the speakers. I guess my idea of mint is different from others.

I bought some power cords on Amazon. I took rubbing alcohol to the remote and it’s much nicer now.

The speakers are in great shape, not near mint, but overall sound nice.