need more power

Hello all, looking for advice on how to increase the power to my Yamaha 3080 that is hooked up to 6 in ceiling speakers surround speakers (do not know the name), 2 Paradigm signature S2's front speakers, and Paradim C3 center speaker.  I also have an an SVSPB-4000 subwoofer.  75% of the use is for movies and tv and 25% for music. I also have a peachtree 2 channel amp and paradigm s8 speakers for stereo listening in a separate room wehre most of my music listening is done. the Yamaha has to be turned up very loud when watching movies and then it seems to get pitchy, or very loud, and wife is yelling at me to turn it down.  I'm a novice at this stuff and wasn't sure if there was anything that could be done or if i just have to watch my movies with my controller in my hand?    
marrama
You want to keep surround.  Get a better or ribbon center channel speaker where the dialogue is and turn it up on your avr settings.  Cut the subs volume for the wife. If that isn't good enough you'll be forced to watch in stereo with a Terk VR1 or a compander be like a dBx 119.
It will take some work to hook them in line.  Room treatment is mandatory.
There’s a setting in your AVR somewhere that should allow you to decrease dynamic range or might be called “night” setting or something.  I’d try that first as it might immediately solve the problem for free.  Best of luck. 
thanks for all the input everyone, i tried decreasing the dynamic range and it has appeared to cure the problem ..