Need Help with Plasma Burn In vs. DLP Decisions

I am researching a possible a Plasma TV purchase (brand is to be determined) but I am getting conflicting statements regarding burn in problems. For example, from watching shows with the 4:3 aspect ratio, will I get burn in where the black bars were? In other words, how long can I watch these channels before I MUST change the channel to a full screen display? I have about 12 HD stations but many are not HD. For non HD stations, I was told to stretch to full display but this seems to distort the view. Does Plasma have other usage restrictions?

Fom a cost view point, does a Samsung DLP TV purchase make more sense than a Plasma? My local Retailer is recommending the Plasma since it looks better but many of my friends have purchased the Samsung DLP (50") and like it very much. Any comments on Plasma burn in and plasma vs. DLP would be appreciated. Thanks
hgeifman

Showing 1 response by lej1447

Three years ago, I took the leap of faith to purchase a Panasonic plasma. Up until now, I don't see any burn in. I watch HD channels on cable, but not that much b/c my box keeps getting tiling, i.e. trying locking in signals as signals do get dropped. Today, whether it is HD or non HD, there are always network logos on them. Thus, I should see burn in. However, I have not seen any burn in, and this is not a 'halo' effect, meaning to defend my purchase. If it lasts me another three years, I would be very happy b/c it's probably time for another upgrade, i.e. newer, better, and cheaper plasma. :> ) Let's see if it can stand against the test of tim. My two-cent thought.