Need Help- Bel Canto 2.7 or Chord Hugo 2 for Desktop setup

Hi everyone, just need some opinions (don’t hold back) on which DAC you think will serve up a warmer but detailed sound. I had decided on the BC 2.7 due to all the positive feedback and ability to get a demo for a decent price. But then I auditioned the Chord Hugo 2 at a local dealer and fell in love with the form factor of it for my use case, which is mostly low-level listening in a desk top set up. My speakers are Dynaudio Lyd 5s (active) and my source is typically Tidal.

When I listened to the Chord I was impressed by the detail and mid range of the unit but there was some glare, which I attributed to not being set up correctly and the speakers (revel). I am thinking my Dyns would smooth that out considerably- feel free to insert your opinion on that. I do not "need" portability, or a headphone amp, those are just nice to haves. What I do need is volume control, and a DAC, and eventually the ability to stream. Again, the Hugo2 has a nice add on box in the 2go unit for the future.

I was just interested to see if any of you folks have listened to these units and if you had an opinion on what direction you would go with. I think they are both great sounding units, my only concern with the Hugo 2 is the sound was a little forward and I lean to towards a warmer silkier type of sound. I was thinking i could acheive it through adjustment of the unit in setting and my speakers, possibly cables as well. Any opinions appreciated!!!

Equipment:

Dynaudio Lyd 5 Active Studio monitor
Macbook pro direct from USB to DAC
Mostly Nordost Cables leftover from an old system
jc51373

Showing 2 responses by crn3371

Those are two excellent DAC’s. How they’re going to sound is also dependent on the downstream gear, and realistically you’d be best served by finding a way to audition them with your gear, in your listening space. Also, if you’re using your MacBook for streaming apps I’d seriously consider getting yourself a dedicated streaming device.
I eventually went from a MacBook Pro running Audirvana to the Bel Canto eOne Stream feeding a W4S DAC and couldn’t be happier.