Need advice on Cary 303-200: best power cord, etc.

I have a Cary 303-200 that is about a month old, using a Nordost Blue Heaven I.C. & the stock power cord. What I am noticing is that it sounds really good on the 2 HDCD's that I have. But with regular CD's: One problem is that bass is really not that great--you don't really hear the definition or tonal quality of acoustic bass on jazz albums (is much better on HDCD). And the whole sound quality in general is a bit "diffuse"; instruments may sound pleasing but are not as well defined as on the 2 Calif. Audio CDP's I've owned. (I generally have the 96/24 switch "on", but switch back & forth quite a bit to experiment).

Is this just the way this player sounds? Should I try an upgraded power cord? Or? Does it need more break in? Or need to be left on constantly?

Rest of my system: ARC VT100MK2, VTL pre-amp, Merlin TSM-M's, Rega P25 w/Benz Glider. Thanks for any advice!
steveaudio

Showing 2 responses by steveaudio

Drew, & Marakanetz:

Thanks for all the advice; very informative! I will try some of your suggestions. Interesting thing I am finding, HDCD discs on the Cary sound truly amazing (I do have a couple of the Reference Recordings CD's). More of a difference than on other CDP's I've owned. A crime that HDCD didn't prevail......

Steve
Drew, & Marakanetz:

Thanks for all the advice; very informative! I will try some of your suggestions. Interesting thing I am finding, HDCD discs on the Cary sound truly amazing (I do have a couple of the Reference Recordings CD's). More of a difference than on other CDP's I've owned. A crime that HDCD didn't prevail......

Steve