Need advice in coming out from the analog dead

I am getting back into the better quality audio game after have relegated myself to the sidelines for about 20 years. Used to have a fine Mac amp and pre and a Linn table which I kick myself (repeatedly) for having ever sold.

Anyway, I recently got a good deal on a VPI TNT table with a Origin Live Silver arm. Normally, I would not have bought a table FIRST, but the deal was too good to pass on. If I have to, I will sell and replace depending on what else I get.

I have about 2500 LP's (including about 40 MFSL's) and love the analog sound. Listen to what they now call "Classic Rock" - Beatles, Zeppelin, Yes, CSNY, Doors etc. but also Steely Dan and more "jazz" influenced music, especially piano soloists. Plus, I am really into female vocals. My "listening room is about 25X15 so I figure I will need some decent punch to deliver the goods to whatever speakers I ultimately choose. I am leaning heavily toward SS because I'm not sure I want to fool with "tube games" at this point in my life (though I loved my old Mac tubes).

After all that, my question is this. What would ya'll recommend, given the above, based on the following rough budget for used, unabused components:

Amplifier - $1500-$2000
Pre-Amp $800-1200
Speakers $2000

Or, as do some, would you recommed dialing back a bit on the amp and sinking more into speakers.

Thanks very much in advance for any help. Seems to be some very sage advice on this board.
4yanx

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

4yanx:

All of the advice that was given to you so far seems to be pretty good advice, and certainly, that would be advice that I would adhere to to a "T". I think that would be my $.02 worth on this very issue.

Now, as for your analog front end, you seem to have land a front end that I am going to envy for a long time. You have landed a VPI TNT turntable, and as far as I am concerned, Linns aside, I take it that from the people here who own them, they seem to swear by them, and they regard the VPI TNT to be the turntable by which other turntable designs are to be judged and measured by. By the fact that I am looking hard at the junior version of this turntable, the VPI Scout with the JMW Memorial 9 Tone Arm, speaks volumes about the turntable you have chosen to be the front end of your system. In that VERY department, you seem to be off to a good start so far.

Now, as for your choice in components so far, I don't know specifically what type of sound you are after. But if it were me, I would go for a detailed sound that is coupled with neutrality given your mixture of rock and jazz albums. But given your budget, I like your choice of the Vandersteen 3 Signatures (for warmth). But, if you want to spend more of your budget on either better electronics or for better cables, then I would also try to hunt down a used pair of Vandersteen 3A's if that is at all possible. That's just another idea to throw into the arena so to speak. After you have settled the speaker issue, here is how the rest of my system would shape up.

Speaker System: Vandersteen 3A Signatures (brand new), or Vandersteen 3A (used).
Power Amplifier: McCormack Power-Drive DNA-1.
Preamplifier: McCormack RLD-1.
Phono Stage: I would try either a Lehmann Audio Black Cube (with the upgraded power supply...... about $900.00), or a Monolithic PS-1/HC-1 (about $700.00). Of the two, I would lean toward the Monolithic. I say the Monolithic because the Monolithic seems to be more versatile than the Lehmann Audio Black Cube, meaning that it can be adjusted to match a wider range of phono cartridges whereas the Lehmann Audio (????), I don't know if it has a whole lot of adjustments or not. I am going to let that be your call here.

Good Luck...... and welcome back to analog. I am getting into analog myself.

--Charles--