Nearly all manufacturers do not advertise/exhibit their product measurements? Why?

After my Audio Science Review review forum, it became apparent that nearly the only way one can determine the measurements of an audio product is wait for a review on line or in a publication.  Most equipment is never reviewed or is given a subjective analysis rather than a measurement oriented review.  One would think that manufacturers used tests and measurements to design and construct their products. 

Manufacturers routinely give the performance characteristics of their products as Specifications.  Those are not test measurements.

I searched the Revel speaker site for measurements of any of their speakers and could not find any.  Revels are universally lauded for their exceptional reviewed measurements.  Lack of published manufacturer measurements is true for nearly every speaker manufacturer I've searched for on line, perhaps several hundred.   Same is true for amps, pre-amps, DACs, transports, turntables, well you get the picture.  Do they have something to hide?   I doubt the good quality products have anything to hide but poor quality products do.  

ASR prides itself in providing "true" measurements that will aid in purchase decisions.   Why don't the manufacturers provide these measurements so that reviewers can test if they are truthful or not?

Then there are the cables and tweaks for which I suspect that there are inadequate tests available to measure sonically perceived differences but which objectivists believe don't exist or are "snake oil."  

Well, please chime in if you have some illuminating thoughts on the subject.   

I would have loved to see manufacturers measurements on my equipment and especially those that I rejected.  

fleschler

Showing 26 responses by jerryg123

Just like alleged performance figures/data for cars, trucks and motorcycles. All data is suspect buy what you like. 

@holmz Guess it is to nuanced, The Nobel Prize.

Must be a Down Under thing? 

Just having some fun. 

Those people could train evangelicals.
Someone could get a Nobel prose if they could measure this stuff. 

Too much Roo Poop in your ears to hear a difference.

must me that the sound is too nuanced? I know a Nobel Prize is. 

@kota1 You are so right!

If you are putting yourself out there as an expert I think it takes more than just a microphone and a computer. If @amir_asr posts something (anything) let's see if he can walk, or if all he does is talk (spitball):

@amir_asr was not complaining like I said could care less about Revel. I also commented on @holmz post that he posted Vandy numbers. Get it right.

I also will bet that Mikes room sounds 10,000 times better than yours!

@holmz That maybe, but it is a factual statement you cannot argue. People who live in glass houses…

Not what I said @amir_asr I said I bet. I did not definitively state that it did, However based on the images of Mikes room and your room, I think it is a safe bet.

Now just go away you are annoying and I am not joining your cult.

I am a dog guy @amir_asr just not a one to listen to shills, and liars that hide behind alleged science.

So sad and pathetic.

Just for you @amir_asr you are as much science as the wagon peddlers in the old west.

So @amir_asr feel better? Wow that took a lot for you. Did you take a nap? So you are making assumptions based on what you are reading on the internet and you do not know a single thing about me.

You did what you accused me of. Where is the science ?

Now what I do know about you is you have never posted your system or listening room. You have never posted the so called measurements for your room and system. Well not here anyway and I will not go on your site to help you secure donations from your minions.

I also know you are not an EE all you are is some guy with some software (that a member had to teach you how to use) and then you banished him from ASR. Yes that guy was over here saying all kinds of nice stuff about you and your lack of credentials.

So here we are back to that Elixir Salesmen (not the great Heed Integrated). That is you, a wagon peddler and the internet is your wagon and you con people to contribute to you.

When I bought my many systems I consulted professionals that came and measured (I am not anti measurements just anti shills and con men) setup gear and we did demos. We found what SOUNDED right in my home and that there was synergy in all the components across the entire chain, Acoustic treatments, cables, power, sources and amplification. Do you offer that type of service or do you just sell online? Would love to hear of some of your success stories from clients.

See when I am out of my element I do not throw cash at a problem I hire experts and get solutions. I may seek feedback form places like WBF and Agon but that is just part of my process.

I look at your expertise like those guys who claim to have served in the military, you know stolen valor.

You are not an expert, scientist, engineer or a respected reviewer. All my opinion. 

Please have a great evening and go play with your dog.

Why is it that people who have least amount of familiarity with audio science the ones that judge others to not have any such knowledge?  If I asked you how many research papers you have read the answer would be close to zero, right? If I asked you if you have any professional experience in audio, the answer would be zero, right?  If I asked you if you have ever had a mentor who knows audio science, the answer would be zero, right?

Why do you do this?  I answer: because audio science doesn't agree with what you have taught yourself from random individuals online, or improperly conducted listening test evaluations.  Show some emotional maturity in this regard.  Most of equipment I test at ASR forum come from members.  Out of the entire set of what I test, I only recommend about 1/3 of it.  The rest just don't perform.  Yet the people who send them to me are still happy to have done so and like the fact that they finally have some reliable data about their gear.  The move on with optimizing their system that way and routinely wind up with more performance at much less cost.

@amir_asr You are so full of crap!

Many retailers in this channel offer 60 and 90 day returns. No questions asked. Guess your business doesn't have the financial resources to put their money where their mouth is.

Just a few: Upscale, Music Direct, Audio Advisor, and on and on.

Cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch. 

17 If you can't run with the BIG DOGS you best stay on the ...

Think we just have a False Profit in you. 

Issues relating to false guarantees have become so common in the United States that the Federal Trade Commission has specifically addressed the issue in the Code of Federal Regulations Handbook (§ 239.1)."

@prof like I said charge those batteries in your trolling motor. Slow day in Toronto?

I said again and again I will not set an electronic toe on that shills site. 

Go Leafs!

@prof your memory is failing you,  kind a like a guy I know.

So move along I really do not care and will not patronize his site.

@prof not playing. Hope your battery is fully charged in that trolling motor. 

Never posted here and he had been asked by several in this thread.

Now move along old chap. 

@prof Yes that is why they reject Amir and I guess you too. Clearly you have nothing better to do. Yep troll on has to getting chilly on the lake. Bit windy today. 

Have a nice evening, hope you find something to do, listen to or read other than old old threads old chap.

@holmz Guess that is why you keep coming back eh.

This thread is like a group therpy session for 4th graders

@prof you are a reader right? You troll through all these threads cause you have nothing better to do. 

How did you miss this? Amir tagged me. 

Now goodnight to you and charge those batteries on your trolling motor.

@amir_asr do not tag me. I am not lost I am not one of your followers and as I have stated I will never go on your site.

I really do not care about your equipment, software or you.

I bid you good day and good riddance.

Looks like you wasted $100K.

Oh and I figured it out, you are old. 

Good day.

So another of the ASR minions chirps off.

No one is denying data just that there are intangibles in audio also. Data is not the final determining factor. Also bad data, poorly executed measurements are meaningless. 

Must be repeatable and verifiable when it comes to measurements.

rcaguy

2 posts

I'm surprised by the number of "data deniers" in this thread, some saying they prefer "just listening to music."  You can do both.  Attending to the technical can only make your enjoyment of the music better.  Such as by eliminating distortion artifacts, especially with analog media, such as vinyl.  (For cartridge & turntable science, note the 2nd edition of "Better Sound from your Phonograph" is out.)