NAD M-33 or Hegel H190

I love the convenience of my NAD M-33; it is the Swiss Army Knife of integrated amps. But ignoring the convenience for a moment, I feel I'm missing something in the music. Sound stage and imaging to be exact. The NAD is technically amazing, but the music somehow sounds "grey". I'm told the Hegel H190 will provide what I'm looking for but there is no way for me to preview the Hegel at this time. Should I trade my NAD M-33 for the Hegel? The complication in trading means I must buy a streamer for Tidal and the I/O on the Hegel is very minimal when compared to the NAD. For instance, I have two sets of speakers and the Hegel has only one set of speaker connections which means I must find some way to split the signal... Any thoughts on these issues would be appreciated. 

aldermine

Showing 4 responses by aldermine

Thanks for all the replies, folks. The reviews I’ve read and have listened to as well as advice from several people who have owned both say the difference in sound between the two amps is significant - significant enough to ignore all the features you don’t get on the Hegel that come standard on the NAD, and that’s saying something! The Hegel looks very naked compared to the NAD!  For the price, the Hegel should at least accommodate two sets of speakers or perhaps offer a sub out, but the Scandinavian ascetic rules. Of course there is no streaming except Air Play which, let’s face it, isn’t Tidal. So one needs to spend still more money to plug that hole and I’m not sure how to overcome the I/O issues mentioned earlier. Despite all these issues, sound is REALLY is the point. It’s what I seek. I should do exactly what @Grizlybutter mentioned and just buy one and return it if doesn’t live up to the sound claims. 

@Mapman I use Dirac. And I failed to mention my speakers. I purchased them new in 1984. They are a set of KEF 105.4’s and a set of KEF103.3’s. These vintage KEF speakers are warm and beautiful. They represent the original sound KEF was known for. KEF was purchased and the sound was forever changed, to my mind for the worse. Regardless, the NAD works well with my speakers, but I’m lead to believe the Hegel will make them sing. I should also attempt to hear other, less known amps, but time and money are always an issue. 

I'm not sure I agree with your statement about I/O on high quality amps or combining multiple speakers @stuartk. Take a look at MAC and every other amp over $30,000 and you will find a huge number of options for multiple speakers, e.g. subs, midrange, etc. While less is sometimes more, agreed, it is not necessarily in this case a clear sign of superiority. 

@stuartk Cost, simply put. Separates cost a lot and with cables, add up fast. However, a gentleman above just solved my problem with the Unison Research Due. Italian sound and heart, A/B amp with plenty of I/O and at the right price point. Done.