NAD C658 upgrade -> Auralic Altair G1.1,... ?

Hi everyone,

My current set exists of the NAD C658 streamer/preamp/dac + the NAD C298 power amplifier with a pair of bookshelf speakers.  I'm mostly streaming music via Qobuz, but also listening to internet radio, playing CD's with a transport connected via coax & streaming files from a NAS.

I'm looking for an upgrade of the C658 and would prefer to keep streamer/dac/preamp in a single box.  However, I'm open to suggestions.

The price range is around 3000€.

I had the opportunity to try both the Eversolo Dmp-a8 & Auralic Altair G1 from my hifi dealer.

I don't consider the Eversolo as a real a upgrade in my set but just sounding different.

I was quite impressed by the Altair G1 (couldn't get the 1.1, but I assume the character is similar).

Some questions from my side:

- When changing tracks via Qobuz (only source I tested), I sometimes heard a small tap (hope this is understandable English) in the sound.  Any idea how this can be solved (will ask my dealer next Friday also) ?

- What are possible alternatives for the G1.1 in this price range ?

- I'm not familiar with the Auralic brand, so interested to know how long they will upgrade the software, since the G1.1 is almost 2 years on the market.  Maybe they don't have a lifecycle policy, but probably some people can tell from experience how long devices are upgraded.

- Does someone know if a G1.2 is planned/annouced ?

Please let me know if any more information is needed to be able to respond to my post.

Thanks a lot in advance for your response & advice,

Wim

jazzwood

Showing 1 response by jazzwood

@toro3 Thanks for your feedback.

I'm open to the used market.

@mgrif104 Thanks for your feedback.

The click is solved now.  I found a setting to disable output when switching between bit rates.  

Regarding software support, I received an answer from Auralic.  They support models at least 5y after being discontinued.

Best regards,

Wim