Nad c-370: Right Channel drops out

I took my NAD to a local repair shop to investigate why the right channel goes out on my amp and they proposed to charge me $420 to install a main amp kit, a filter set plus labor. Needless to say, I paid them their $70 "diagnostic fee" and brought the Nad home, unrepaired.

I am a bit baffled because I can get the right channel to come on if I tinker around with the amp by switching source inputs form CD to Video and so on. I have been reading on the internet about problems with these amps due to capacitors overheating and bugging out. Is there a particular capacitors or group of capacitors that I could replace myslef and get my rig running again?
tbone1

Showing 6 responses by tbone1

I don't think the shop even took the cover off. If they did, they didn't seem to make any attempt to blow out any of the dust inside of it.
I dunno what a "main amp kit" is...that's what they told my girlfriend is needed (plus a filter set.) I did not get to talk to the technician. The only one I got to talk to was the lady at the front desk who held me up for $70.
what would I use to clean volume, balance and input switches besides compressed air Magfan?
I ordered a musical fidelity a5.5 amp as soon as I got the news on the NAD. Remarkable improvement in sound stage over the NAD plus I can hear details that I never noticed with the NAD. I am pretty happy with the step up but now I need new speakers to replace my old Klipsch KG-4's. Harbeth and Spendors look appealing. Anyone have any recs on speakers to pair with my new amp and arcam cd23t CD player? I like the look of a more traditional box type speaker rather than towers or some of the oddball looking stuff that is favored by many. My room is about 15' x 20' with carpet and a 10 foot ceiling. Rock and Roll and bluegrass are my main choices in music. I like to feel the bass as well as hear it.

Is a busted NAD worth anything?
thanks Mag fan. I'll try blowing it out with a can of compressed air and then follow up with the contact cleaner. It looks a bit furry inside. I have have dogs and cats and unlike most audiogoners who post items for sale, I smoke like a freaking chimney!
I am not sure what type of switches the amp has. I will try the cleaning this weekend and see what happens.

Surely more audiogoners have pets and smoke than what the for sale adds would leave you to believe...