My wife finally got it

My dear spouse has never objected to my audio expenditures and has tolerated the hobby with an occasional "roll of her eyes". Last night, after dinner, I went into the music room, and put on an LP; as I do many evenings. It was the Sheffield Labs/Los Angeles Symphony/Eric Liensdorf Firebird.
My 5 year old daughter and our dog were in the room in front of a toasty fire, the lights were dimmed VERY low (I need to set the mood:)). I was completely immersed in the music. My wife was moving around the house, but mostly doing something in the adjacent family room. When the stylus hit the run-out groove at the end of side 2, she walked into the room and said: "That sounded better than ANY CD I have ever heard. That was beautiful!" Light dawns over Marblehead ladies and gentlemen! She followed up by saying: "Now I understand." We have been together for 10 years, and that is the first time her equipment comments have not been on the order of: "that was nice, but I can listen on the boombox in the kitchen". God, I LOVE that woman!
slipknot1
Your wife has an "ear". That was an interesting story. I'd venture a guess that many other wives, and indeed, audiophiles would say the same thing, if they heard some good vinyl on a good playback deck. The key statements in your story were playing an LP, and her saying,"That sounded better than any CD." Any questions?
Slipknot,

My compliments to you and your wife. IMHO this is a rather important event. Women (mothers & wives) are genetically and culturaly different form us men, usually. I wouldn't hope for much more out of her than this. I might suggest that if she is "busy aroung the house" and you would like her to sit and really experience this with you then invest some of your spare time in helping with the chores. Take away any excuse she might have for not joining you. If she joins in and makes a habit of it, you are better off as a couple. If she doesn't, then just be happy with what happened last night. You're way ahead of most audiophiles.

Happy listening,
Patrick
When I first got married my wife was always shocked over the price tags. My Martin Logan SL3 speakers were first in a large 5.1 audio/video system in a small beach duplex where she would move the speakers parallel to the HDTV. Now that we are in a large 2 story house the room acoustics are so much better & the 5.1 audio/video system is now just a stereo with mono block amps. The Martin Logan speakers are were they should be, alway from the back wall with no HDTV in the middle. My wife now saids that she can no longer listen to a boom-box
Congratulations my friend. What a joy that must be. I've been with my wife for 20 years and I haven't gotten past the 'eye rolling' stage yet. I was beginning to think that I never would. Your story gives me new hope, if I just keep on buying new gear, maybe someday a light will click on for her. Maybe she will discover the joy that music brings me. Maybe we will finally be able to share the enjoyment of recorded music..............................NAH!!!
Congrats again,
John
You're all ahead of the game. My wife of 12 yrs. has very good hearing in one ear only(w/virtually nada in the other ear.) So you image when Santa brings a new boom-boom toy (as my younger daughter calls it) into our home. She's really a good sport and she realizes what music means to me
in my life. My kids really enjoy music which is really great and I'm so grateful for so many blessings in our lives. Enjoy the moment in time always. Happy Holidays! Bill