My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao
Post removed 

Hi,  if you want an easy alternative with wifi connection and don't want it to cost a new mortgage, try the Auralic Aries G2.1 running Tidal through Lightning DS.  This is a relatively inexpensive step up that avoids the 'haze' associated with Roon on other platforms.  My next leap upwards will be to an Antipodes Oladra, but the Auralic will be just fine until I can afford a server that costs 5 times its price. FWIW.

I've been using mConnect lite with an iPhone and an Oppo UDP203 until very recently as a "toe-into" the streaming waters.  mConnect provides a very nice interface for surfing several streaming (hi-res) services and casting.

I had contacted Oppo support previously who still responds (wow!); they indicated Oppo UDPs do NOT render; as such, hi-res streams may be down-sampled (not bit-perfect) by the rendering mConnect platform.  Oppo does have their own APP which does remote "control" their UDP; however, it is dated with no streaming services functionality.

A few years ago my OPPO BD 105 CD drawer would not open and this is the reply that I recieved from customer service:

Remove all cables from back of player

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 115V to 230V

Press and hold power button for 5 seconds. Release

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 230V to 115V

Reconnect power cord. Press power switch

After these procedures my CD drawer worked properly