My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

Showing 2 responses by designsfx

@simao 

See my post from yesterday- it is the same recommendation that you received from Oppo. I haven’t used Tidal on an Oppo in some time and remember it becoming more clunky as Tidal’s services changed (Oppo app never changed with it).

If you’re seeing a difference in sound quality (using the Oppo as a renderer) it would be based on your local network. Wi-Fi should work well but if spotty try running CAT from your router/mesh/extender directly to the Oppo itself.

@simao 

Are you planning to move away from the Oppo for use with Tidal completely? Do you have an IPad? I know the Tidal situation is bunk now as far as the Oppo is concerned but I’m wondering if you’ve tried setting up an IPad or phone with a media center app and pushing the content to the Oppo- using it as a renderer?