My new Soundsmith Straingauge cartridge

Well, after a bit of dillying and dallying, I finally got 'round to trying a home trial of this cart. After a couple of hours dialling in vtf, and esp. azimuth, it basically sold itself, and I bought it an hour later!
It's without doubt the fastest cart I've ever experienced, surpassing the Decca London Reference, but with none of that cart's tipped up 'whiteness'. But this blazing speed is combined with the natural sweetness of the Lyra Parnassus. It has the neutrality of the Transfiguration Orpheus with the dynamics and involvement of the ESCCo-modded Zu Denon 103. So, fast AND sweet, and neutral AND involving, combinations often too challenging for other so-called SOTA carts. All the carts I've mentioned I've had in my system over the years. But I admit, I haven't heard current contenders to the crown (Lyra Titan/Atlas, Ortofon Anna, Clearaudio Goldfinger etc) to make comparisons.
It's tracking really is superlative, 3d soundstaging/dimensionality is beyond the room constraints, and I really believe it has the least artifact-laden sound of any cart I've heard, with NO aural evidence of a diamond carving thru wax. It's really complimenting what's already a neutral, fast and dynamic analog rig in my system (Trans Fi Salvation direct rim drive tt/Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm)
spiritofmusic
I don't own a SS SG , but I do know the difference eliminating a couple soldering joints makes between my turntable and preamp makes. I can only imagine what eliminating a circuit in my phono stage would do. If both normal phono stages and the SS SG offer a flat response, but the SG handles the signal in a more careful manner than the standard RIAA circuitry; it would only makes sense that those hearing the SG would be hearing a more accurate playback. It doesn't seem like their is room for debate on the subject more than personal opinions on the sound. The less a signal contends with the better. Am I missing an important part of the equation? Besides humans?
Tanathen, the sound sure seems accurate and lifelike, a quantum leap beyond other SOTA carts I've run. I have to say I've heard no colourations in vocals on any disc I'm pretty familiar with - Kate Bush still doesn't sound like Frank Sinatra!
Fine tuning of the cart has really paid dividends, the bass has really locked in, and the final piece of this particular audio jigsaw has been completed. Now, I'm getting a naturally extended and warm bass, but still faster than any other analog I know, complementing superlative mids and highs.
Just heard the maxxed install with NAT SET amps running thru my v. efficient Zu spkrs. Wow, I'm totally sold on this sound, and the SG cart really sounds limitless in this chain. Now, where's that chequebook?!
I would love to hear it on my et2 and sota.....someday, for now it's just me and my grado. It sounds great when I finally get a chance to listen, which isn't nearly as often as the doctor ordered. I'm willing to bet the farm the SG is in a different galaxy nevermind league. I'm glad you are loving it, soundsmith is a class act and Pete certainly knows what he's doing.
Tanathen, the cart my SG replaced is no slouch and if it wasn't for hearing Peter's baby, I wouldn't have swapped.
This is the Zu Audio Denon 103 ($900), modded by the Expert Stylus And Cartridge Company ESCCo, in England ($500). Total giant killer. See my thread "ESCCo modded Zu 103".
Finally had my Mk2 Straingauge dialled in correctly esp re azimuth, vta and vtf, for a while now.
It's really the best performing cart I've ever had in my system (which incl. Transfiguration Temper and Orpheus, Lyra Skala and Parnassus, Roksan Shiraz, and ESCCo modded Zu Denon 103).
Bass is warm and effusive, but totally textural, never one-note. Mids are clear and transparent. Highs are crystalline and almost unlimited in extension. Tone and precision in equal measure.
Tracking is like a bloodhound, and there is a total synergy with my direct rim drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm. I'm really detecting no artifacts in analogue replay revealing the shortcomings of the lp medium that bugged me playing records in the last few years compared to playing cds on my really neutral Emm Labs CDSA cdp. This is the closest I've ever got to the Holy Grail of 15 ips reel-to-reel sound that I heard a year ago.
For the first time in 5 years, lp replay is streaking ahead of digital that was previously regularly outperforming it in my system.
Other than experimenting with supports/isolation/power, that's it for my upgrade journey to analogue audio nirvana over 17 years.