My new review for The Absolute Sound comparing AGD GAN amps with BHK300’s

I am normally best suited to be behind the camera, but The Absolute Sound convinced me I should try my hand at reviewing. In listening to AGD’s Audion GAN amps I compared them with my BHK300’s. This was done direct from the my Dac - PS Audio DS MKII with APS transformers, to eliminate any preamp interactions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0p6MUKSVo8&t=616s

emailists

Its perfectly valid to compare amps of different classes of operation.

Regarding the 'unobtanium' GaNFET, I understand your skepticism- I reacted the same way. The designer claims he uses a device 'designed for audio'. As you know, GaNFET's main advantage, their raison d'etre, is for switching so of course any GaNFET could be used but if you wanted to optimize one for a class D audio amplifier it would have a low output capacitance. That was something we considered when we chose the parts we use as well. So we can assume that is what is being used. That is the extent of being 'designed for audio'.

This is hilarious, actually!!

If I use a switching semiconductor to switch at 2 mHz, are you going to call that device an “audio output” device???

Thats what these GaN devices are, and that’s how they’re used here! That’s how Class D amps work!  These devices are no more “audio devices” than the devices used to control industrial induction motors, or used to control motors in EVs!! Fact is, both GaN and SiC were developed for exactly these reasons: Efficient control of induction and DC motors!!!

This is a total scam to say these devices are “audio” rated, or even operate at audio frequencies!

Peoples’ lack of understanding of Class D amps makes for easy victims of false advertising!!

soix

8,602 posts

@wolfie62 Not really sure what you’re saying.  GaN FETs are clearly different from MOSFETs, and the performance advantages of the former have allowed amp designers to not only more seriously rival traditional amps but are now starting to surpass them.  When a company like Atmasphere makes a GaN amp that the designer in most ways prefers to his MUCH pricier OTL tube amps that’s pretty strong evidence that something significant has changed.  Again, not really sure what your point is here.

See my post above. That’s my point! 

@emailists Great review…. I saw it on YouTube a few days ago.  I like your style of review.  You should do more!

@bolong I concur with your assessment of how different interconnects and power cables modify the sound of the Audion amps.  The Audions seem to deliver whatever sound qualities a cable or component feeds it.  They are nice amps in my setup.

On so many threads here, some audio hooligan shows up, bristling with self-appointed importance & "expertise," and proceeds to drag the thread into snark and recrimination.

Always a bummer to encounter this stuff....