My New Creek 4330...

Makes a loud POP when i turn it on, even when the
volume knob is all the way down. This doesnt seem
right. Anyone have any advice? Should I return it?

Thanks,
-jas

http://dimbulb.org
dimbulb

Showing 3 responses by dekay

I auditioned the amp approx. one year ago and it was completely silent upon power up. I would not use the amp until it is repaired as the pop can very easily damage your speakers.
Hmmm: Once again, the model that I auditioned did not pop on start up. I would be concerned about the speakers (tweeters) in the long run with anything that did so. This amp was changed (modified by the manufacturer) at least once without it being denoted as being a different model number. If you purchased the amp new, I would check with the dealer as to how old the amp is and whether to there is an upgrade that will remedy the pop. Otherwise I would leave the unit powered up all the time (it sounds much better this way anyway).
There was a review of an earlier 4330 at HiFI Choice which experienced various problems and then a later review of another unit where no problems are noted (including the start up thump). I seem to recall the lack of output relays being mentioned in the first review which was longer than the first. If the manufacturer says that it is not a problem, then they should know. Like I said before though, if you leave the unit powered up 7/24 you do not have to deal with the thump, which is an easy solution. Charlie, what do you think about leaving the unit powered up all the time, does it run fairly cool?