My 30 Watt class A is louder than my 100 Watt Class AB?

Curious observation…

I had just done some work on my DIY Hiraga 30 Watt Class A amp, and decided I would do an A/B comparison with my Adcom GFA 545.

To my great surprise, when I switched from the Hiraga to the Adcom, leaving everything else in the set up the same, and when I turned the music back on, it needed to be turned up to play at the same volume.

Input impedance is different, and I’m wondering if this is what could be causing this counter intuitive finding? Hiraga is around 33K and the Adcom around 100K.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to why this is what I’m experiencing.

Thanks

perkri

Showing 2 responses by mlsstl

I had a situation that was opposite of the "too much gain" scenario. I tried to use a Schiit Saga preamp (unity gain) with their Aegir power amp which is on the low side of amp gain. I had to turn the volume up to near max on most recordings to get an average listening level. That meant when I tried to play recordings with lower-than-average volume levels I was unable to reach my desired volume even though the amp had more than adequate power. I solved the problem by selling the Saga and switching to their Lyr 3 which has switchable gain (+3.5 dB or 17.5 dB).

@russ69 -- I know the Saga has no gain (that's what "unity gain" means.) And I was using a DAC with the typical 2 volt output, so nothing amiss there. While most of the time I got the desired playback volume, the problem was when the recording itself was recorded at lower than normal volume. Certainly not a problem with most pop/rock material, but there are some recordings out there where this can be an issue.  Its not an issue limited to certain turntables/phono preamps.