Mutec MC 3+ and CTronic After Dark Clock

Just wondering if anyone has tried this combo and the results?

I don’t stream and have a very good Mojo Audio NOS DAC with a Sparkler transport I’m happy with. As with all things audio can my digital setup be taken up a notch this way? TIA

Chris

128x128rodge827

Showing 8 responses by rodge827

Won’t be using two clocks. Using an external clock overrides the internal clock on the Mutec. The After Dark clock is supposed to be better than the Mutec clock hence my question. 

Yes…coax out of trans to Mutec with word clock engaged coax from Mutec to Dac.

“I would try the Mutec’s clock first to determine how much improvement there is via clocking before making the extra spend on the After Dark.”

Yep was thinking to do this in that order. CTronic  the After Dark distributor has a good return policy. Was just looking for some feedback from others who may have tried this set up. 

Yes my Dac doesn’t have a work clock input. By my understanding, you need a device that does accept a word clock input like the Mutec to work with the After Dark clock. If a Dac or digital device has a word clock input then yes you could go direct not need an intermediary like the Mutec. Word clocks are used primarily in the Pro audio realm not so much in audiophilia. Pro companies like Tascam and Antelope have word clock inputs with some of their digital gear. Jays Audio CDT3 has a word clock input. The issue is good word clocks can be very expensive and it looks like After Dark is challenging that notion. 

@antigeumge2

Thanks for the input I’m learning more as the thread progresses.

@lowrider57 

Thanks for the reply I’ve been thinking of a Node for some time now, but want to get my cd playback the best it can be before streaming. I had a PWT at one time and it’s a very good transport. I sold it and the Dac Iwas using to fund the Sparkler. An external word clock will only improve the information sent through it. Maybe check the return policy on a word clock if you decide to go that route and no improvement?