Musical subwoofer under $2000

I’m looking for advice on what vendors to look at as l’d really like to add a subwoofer to my 2 channel setup. The room is c. 30x15 feet or 42 square meters with low ceiling of about 7.5 feet or 2.2 meters. Budget is c.$2,000 and my 2 channel speakers are Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII. My amp offers pre-out connection. I’d like REL but their S range is now too expensive, so something close in musicality would be great. 

sparksgja

Showing 3 responses by fred60

I own 2 JL e110’s in my setup and they work wonderfully with my Raidho XT-2’s.

Highly recommend them. Bought them in high gloss for around $1,500 each several years ago, I think the price has gone up to about $2,000 each.

I think you are right not to spend too much, as Class D amps (I think all subs use Class D) can’t be repaired once they fail. I spent about $2,500 on a Paradigm sub for my home theatre setup and it failed after about a decade of use. It’s why I’d never buy active speakers. Who wants to buy a pair of speakers that will only last a decade? JMHO.

@mofojo That's great to hear.  Happy to hear that as an owner of two JL Audio subs.  Paradigm was not at all like that.  They quoted me $1,700 to "fix" my dead sub that cost $2,500.  I'd of course rather spend the $1,700 on a new sub.

My point was that unless the manufacturer is willing to repair the sub for a reasonable price, taking it to a certified audio repair facility-- they will tell you that they can't repair it.  

JL Audio is a good exception to that.  Good to know, thanks.

Just got my Absolute Sound issue (Jan. 2024).  They highlight products of the year.  You might look into the Golden Ear ForceField 30.  It got a Product of the Year from The Absolute Sound.  I have no expericene with the sub, just passing along info.  It's $900, with a 1000W switching amp, a 8-inch long throw driver with a downward firing passive radiator.