Music vs. Components

Greetings everyone. Here's a biggie: When you sit down for a session with your hi-fi, what do you find that you are really listening to most 1) the music, or 2) your components? Where and what is that mysterious, illusive, fine line between 1) simply and wonderfully enjoying the music and.... 2) listening critically for either how "great" your system sounds (such as trying to justify upgrades, tweaks, tube rolling, wire changes, etc.) or listening for all of the flaws and weaknesses of your gear. When does the tweaking stop and the enjoyment begin? Conversely, when is it time to improve and upgrade because, in reality, you would be happier if your system sounded better?
bside123
When I ordered some NOS tubes because they might run out, I knew I was over the deep end. After over 20 years of listening to capacitors, resistors, and everything except music; I quit. My rig is as good as it is going to get. Since I quit, the music sounds so much better. I had no idea how beautiful music is.
I've noticed just in the last week that when I'm intentionally listening to my new CD player I'm less impressed than when I just have the music on and am doing something else while listening. I find myself having the realization that I'm hearing things in the music that were not there before. I think part of the problem with a direct A/B comparision is that the new CD player has a higher volume level that makes enough difference to be distracting.

Audio components are a hobby and music is a hobby, but I think that audiophiles are component collectors and people that spend their time playing and writing music are all about the music. Some people, I'm sure, do both.
After reading through these various posts, it seems that truthfully, audiophiles really listen foremost to their components/gear hoping to hear them sound musical. Since this is very subjective, as long as the listener likes the sound of the gear, then they say they're not listening to it, BUT as soon as the music appears less "pleasing," the listener is again off on the search to find either gear or upgrades that will again "sound" more musical... claiming that the gear has once again disappeared, and they are no longer listening to it. I believe that my description kind of encompasses each point of view, including Mrtennis, who listens for the "affect" on his health. Surely if you don't like the sound (bad sound), it can't have a positive affect. I would presume you need, at least, reliable components to produce health providing music. It's all part of the hobby, and all good as far as I'm concerned... so long as one doesn't get too twisted about either gear, music, others' opinions of what sounds good, magazine reviews, money, etc.
I always listen to the music my components make.

The line exists within our insecurities.

There is no other significance to our home stereo than the fact that it play's music for us to enjoy. Neurotic behavior is independant.

As far as upgrades go, I find a funny similarity between the typical "audiophile" and the typical cult follower of scientology. Within the cult, you pay your money in the promise of improvements over what you are familiar with. And when the improvements eventually don't live up to your expectations, you are told to pay even more money for the next level up, because only then will you reach and realize the results you are looking for. Of course, soon enough you're not satisfied and of course, the only action is to pay an even higher amount of monies for the next levels which will give you what you are looking for. And on and on until you get wise or grow broke and disillusioned.

And don't even get me started on the cult of scientology. Have you heard of OT III and XENU and the space opera and whatever else that drugaddled crazyfuk l.r.hubbard made up?!

enjoy!

I love my stereo and my wife loves music. She is starting to hate me talking about anything electronic and it bugs me when she sings along to the music because I can't hear it as well. She enjoys the quality of my system, but her enjoyment in music probably hasn't improved over listening to the stock car stereo.

Which one of us loves components and which one loves music?