Music Culture mc 501A Dual CD and USB player

I've researched this unit on the internet and the Audiogon site but Im looking for first hand information either positive or negative from Audiogon members. Your thoughts please regarding Music Culture mc 501A Dual CD and USB player?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak

Showing 3 responses by iblieve

Hi Lak,

Jmc routed me to your thread.
I use a MC-501a CDP/DAC device for many months now. I hope you'll excuse my enthusiasm but it's the best CDP/DAC i ever heard and possess.
My system is :
USHER AUDIO BE-10 speakers
MC-501a CDP
MC-601 preamp
MC-811 dual power amps
Marantz SA11-S1 SACD Player
W4S music server
Acrolink DA-6300II, A-2500II , DA-5100, Analysis Plus Solo crystal interconnects
Acrolink PC-9500, Taralabs Onyx, A+ ultimate power cords

I was always seeking for the most neutral system but with the kind of naturalness that gives all the emotions from the music.
I tried several CDP : Jolida, Esound, Marantz, Esoteric, Ayon, Nad, Accuphase, Naim... Many are good or great CDP but there is always a lack of naturalness, of fluidity and presence.
Music Culture has been created by the major founder of MBL and you can notice it on the look of the devices. I never compare a MBL CDP with my MC-501a directly so i can't figure out if they are close sounding. Anyway the MC offer a very detailed sound with a organic and fluid presentation. It's pretty rare to listen to those qualities all together in one device.
You should know that it's better to use neutral system with it to get all the qualities of this CDP. If you also use a music server, the DAC is simply greater than any other high end DAC i previously owned. It gives an "analog" presentation without the flaws. It's so good that you may stop using the CD player...

Hope it helps
Even if the Oppo is a very good overall player, it can't compete with the MC. The DAC of the MC is probably the most natural DAC i ever heard and i don't think the Oppo can do that.
@Lak : Wait for 300 hours and i think you will experiment something really amazing with the MC-501a! Out of the box, it's great, after the burn-in, it becomes awesome.

@audiolab : In France, It's 3990€ retail. Real balanced. For example, the MC-811 only offer balanced inputs...