Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 13 responses by lordmelton

I don't see this discussion as a who's best scenario but rather more as a paradigm shift in the industry where most if not all of these highly priced DAC offerings offer little to no performance advantage over Musetec, Holo May and Terminator.

Traditionally price was directly proportional to hi-end sound, occasionally we get a cable or accessory that seriously outperforms, however it's rare.

It's still impossible to build hi-end pre and power amps, turntables and speakers cheaply. DACs on the other-hand mostly use the same chips and are either delta sigma or R2R, take your choice.

Therefore even though the Chinese have tried to copy Levinson, Spectral, FM Acoustics etc., they can't do it. Mainly because the cost of the components and technologies involved.

A DAC is another matter and since many western companies have outsourced to China for years it's no surprise they have a very good handle on DACs.

The 005 has never fallen short or been outclassed in any system I've put it into. 005 users here have recently been discussing how much better performance they can achieve with decent pre-amps. Pairing a 005 with a Coda preamp for example will provide a formidable combination for about $10k, the starting price of these expensive DACs.

Both the Bricasti and Weiss DACs oversample this means you cannot use industry leading software like HQ Player.

Call me old school but I don't want my digital signal enhanced in any way, I want to hear what comes directly off the CD or file or stream.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the understanding of the 005.

It's very common for a Hi-End pre-amp to reveal shortcomings throughout a system but I've heard the 005 with solid state pre-amps up to $40k and it still keeps performing at the highest level.

Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything. Use what sounds best for you.

Ā 

@boxer12 Good to hear you're getting great results, I'll be getting a couple more funds permitting.

Maybe it's too early to compare but how does the AR stack up against the Furutech?

I will not apologise for not liking valves and you have confirmed my statement that you use valves for tone controls. You know and I know that valve amps are distortion central.

If that's what you like, go with it, but I don't like distortion and I don't like waiting an hour for valves to warm up and I don't like oversampling either.

So in a very highly critical solid state environment the 005 performs like a champ.

Pre-amps from Viola and Spectral are the pinnacles of pre-amp design incorporating high speed modules for ultimate resolution.

BTW I have used valves in the past.

Tape up both ends of the +5v line with electrical tape. If you only tape one end it can act as an antenna and attract RFI/EMI.

Don't tape the -ve because it'll be earth.

Yes, I am no longer using the LKS 100 although I expect to revisit it later. I used it to great effect for many months but I decided to re-try the USB with some different cables. Some were much more expensive than a solid silver cable, but that's what broke in the Amanero board.

My 005 is fully broken in now and will be one year old next month. I have heard many DACs in the meantime and I can honestly say I absolutely no desire to change it.

The 005 uses ESS 9038 Pro chips, some cheap Chinese DACs are already implementing the latest ESS 9039 Pro chips. I look forward to Musetec implementing this chip which will provide full MQA unfolding.

I can confidently promise that there isn't a better DAC unless you start getting into stupid money.

@americanspiritĀ  It is not necessary to cut and solder USB cables, just use electrical tape to cover the contacts.

You can do this on even very expensive cables.

@sirnui Good luck on your journey, it makes sense to start with power supply and power cables.

I would suggest you also experiment with Audioquest PCs and the Niagara Power Conditioners.

I am embarking on that journey now. Start with your power amp.

@debjit_g I have SR Purple fuses in almost all my gear and they are definitely the best bang for the buck.

I am surprised that the Audiomagic M1 only offered a slight improvement, I was planning on trying one.

I have a Powerhouse Zero 2 fuse in my power conditioner which is wonderful but they are around $550.00

My Threshold power amp takes one SR Purple and four HIFI Tuning fuses which are great value.

Guess I gotta bite the bullet and try some QSA fuses.

@budkine Don't listen to the cloth eared old bat, he's been on the turps again, the Purple makes a great improvement.

The original fuse is T(Slow Blow) 3.15A, you should replace it with a T4A Purple.

The original fuse is a semi-boutique fuse you can use in another piece of equipment.

Well just in case anyone is interested, I have SR Purple fuses in all my gear and recently put a SR Masterfuse in my power conditioner.

The sound in unbelievable, like a huge component upgrade, like I upgraded everything.

A single fuse upgrade isn't going to be earth shattering, very noticeable nevertheless, but multiple Purples increase the effect. The Masterfuse multiplies everything exponentially.

You have a 30 day money back guarantee so I don't know why anyone should be hesitant about trying these fuses.

@melm Kudos again melm your post cut right to the chase - why come here to bash Musetec?

A professional reviewer normally has a piece of gear in his system for at least a month before he starts the reviewing process and that could take another month.

Well I guess it's easier to have a few mates around order a pizza and some Bud Light and go from there.

The Musetec is the only DAC in your list that is made from mostly European parts, not cheap Chinese caps etc.

Anyway consider yourself schooled, Old School.