Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 50 responses by yyzsantabarbara

I posted this question on the May vs 005 thread. I should have asked here instead. I unexpectedly received my 005 today. I was expecting it next Wed.

Question: I am wondering what the DPLL settings are for?

An interesting initial observation. I am now on my 3rd Stones album streaming via a Sonore OpticalRendu into the 005’s USB. The unit is no longer ice cold and has warmed up temperature wise. So far it sounds like a mix between the now sold Gustard X26 Pro and my Benchmark DAC3B, which was what I was going for. The interesting part is that this unit is giving me some serious ear fatigue. There is definitely some stronger output from this DAC.

In the past, I have used a Convolution filter (running on my ROON Core) to tame my digital streaming in my small room. However, with changes in rack positioning, changes in a large computer monitors positioning, and the addition of an acoustic panel in front of a rack of CD’s, I was able to enjoy my system without the Convolution filter (naked).

Now with the 005 I am getting what seems like an overload of frequencies. Something similar to what I had prior to acoustically treating my room with GIK and using the Convolution filter. I will give this 400 hours before I make any conclusions. I was planning on getting a new Convolution filter professionally done sometime in the future (just to try with the new arrangement), I may move that up if the 005 is still giving me issues after 400 hours.

My wife's dog but I have to spend the whole day at home with him (still a puppy).

I should have realized a bit earlier something was off with the settings since I kept telling myself the sound seems a little stronger on one side. I thought it was because of the way I was sitting in an angle in front of my 6 computer monitors.

I will update these photos this weekend now that I have my final gear (the 005) for the office. These photos are not of the latest arrangement. 

Office System | Virtual Listening Room (audiogon.com)

The imaging is now perfect. The fatigue is also gone away. I am using DPLL setting 01.

@melm I switched from my CODA 07x preamp (easy for the dog to hit volume) to the Benchmark LA4 preamp. Both sit side-by-side and share XLR and RCA inputs between the Musetec 005 and Benchmark DAC3B outputs. I have also matched the gain on the CODA 07x preamp between the 2 DACs (not LA4 gain). The Musetec is connected to the LA4 by RCA. I have almost identical Sonore OpticalRendu’s going into the USB of each DAC. The only difference between the 2 streamers is the LPS and USB cable, both of which are not noticeable to me.

The 005 now must have more than 30 hours. I have been playing it into my RAAL speaker interface box when I am not around. So, the unit has been getting nice and warm each day.

I did do some comparisons between the DAC3B and 005 using the CODA 07x preamp and my RAAL SR1a headphones. The CODA 07x preamp was gain matched as mentioned above. Now I expected to hear differences with the SR1a since it is incredibly revealing. However, at this point in time I could not tell a single difference between the 2 DACs on the RAAL. I was shocked at this. I used ROON GROUPED streaming to both DACs.

On my Thiel CS3.7 speakers I did notice a difference between the 2 DACs on both preamps. First of all, I am still getting a bit of fatigue from the 005. However, this fatigue is going down to almost negligible levels. I think this is because the 005 may have more bass energy and also the unit is breaking it. The sound also seems to be denser on my Thiels, the soundstage more filled in, which is great. It could be the bass?

I also notice the tone on the 005 is really gorgeous. The whole range of sound is so coherent, with nothing seemingly out of place. The DAC3B has a more noticeable top end, which a friend of mine attributes to a bit less bass (he also owns the DAC3B). I like the DAC3B for certain music like hard rock, to get the juices flowing. The 005 seems to sound like what I was going after. Something a little less ’hot’ than the DAC3B, more like my departed Gustard X26 Pro, but with greater sharpness and detail without the top end sounding ’hot’.

I need to give the 005 more hours because I can hear the changes in sound and my fatigue going away.

My prior DACs were the following:

- Benchmark DAC3B (and others)

- Topping DAC90SE

- KRELL K300i (internal DAC in integrated amp)

- Matrix Audio Mini I-3 (sold)

- Gustard X26 Pro (sold)

- AudioMirror Tubadour III SE (sold)

The 005 is already the best (for me) of the bunch. I will post updated photos later tonight because my office system is DONE. No more purchases for this system.

@westcoastaudiophile I am not a huge tube fan and the Gustard X26 Pro was a bit warmer than my go to DAC which was the Benchmark DAC3B. Now the DAC3B is a little hot on top but I can make it work with my warmish CODA 07x preamp.

The Gustard maybe preferred by people that like a bit more warmth in the sound. I actually thought it was excellent for the most part, but there were times I thought the DAC3B sounded better with some music. It is just a preference issue and I cannot say the Gustard was worse than the DAC3B.

The 005 sounds a little less warm than the Gustard but warmer than the DAC3B. There seems to be more bass from the 005. My music seems more dense or filled in with the 005. I was getting some fatigue listening to the 005, but now that is gone away. I have about 50 hours on the DAC. I think that fatigue was due to a bit of coarseness in the sound during break-in with more bass. Now that is all gone way, I have the best sound from a DAC I have ever had in this system. The 005 is also very coherent sounding with no frequency sticking out. The DAC3B is a little bass shy compared to the 005 and a bit hotter on top. I do like the DAC3B still and plan on keeping it long term.

If the 005 had 2 optical inputs I could easily use just the 005 in the office system and move my DAC3B elsewhere.

The more I listen to the 005 I realize I hit a homerun with this purchase. If this DAC was not physically so big, I would buy a second one for my downstairs system to replace the Topping D90SE I have there. It is a very good DAC but the 005 is better.

What is anything worth? I listen to music all day long and enjoy it as part of my daily routine. So, a better DAC is worth it for me. The Topping is a very good DAC and excellent for the price. A couple of things that give me pause from getting a second Musetec is that the Topping DAC system is in a noisy room with a lot of stuff happening, I also like the small form factor of the Topping for that system. The Mustec is big and a bit heavy and I would have to place it on top of a tuner.

However, the Musetec could really open up (the bass) in my Topping DAC system since the room is rather big. The Mustec is usually $3300 but on sale these days.

My unit is likely sufficiently burned in now since that fatigue, I was experiencing in the beginning is now gone. I was listening to some hard rock for most of the day yesterday and I noticed that the bit of fatigue I was experiencing went away near the end of the day. So something changed.

This morning I put on Clockwork Angels by RUSH, which is not a quiet album. I played it over 80 dBs in my small room and had the best sound I ever had from this album. No fatigue.

This is now easily the best DAC I have ever owned. Thanks to the guys who posted on this DAC and also @ricevs who told me that all his customers were getting Musetec DACs. I now understand why.

Icing on the cake for me would be if the 005 had a Fibre input for streaming and was ROON READY. Call it the 006.

When I bought my 005 maybe 3 weeks ago from Shenzhen they said that Musetec was building my unit. They did not have any DACs in stock.

I returned my Gustard X26 Pro to shenzhenaudio. They sent me a another one as replacement. A great online dealer.

I should have clarified that I have my 005 delivered to me about 2 weeks after ordering.

For all possible future purchasers of 005, expect to hear the  previously unheard. And not in a clinical, analytical manner, assuming one's present system not voiced in this manner.

I just wish I had bought a 2nd 005 instead of the Topping D90SE which is still excellent for $900 in my "noisy" room system. The 005 would be even better. 

@jc4659 Your experience with Shenzhen Audio is exactly like mine when I bought my Gustard X26 Pro last year. They also gave me a discount after I missed a sale by 1 week. I returned the Gustard X26 Pro due to an issue I had, and they sent me a replacement unit very quickly. It cost me $115 to send back the unit by USPS. I have no problem buying from these guys.

The very best implementation of the ESS DAC chips that I had heard prior to the Musetec 005 was the 

RESONESSENCE LABS INVICTA MIRUS DAC - Headphone Guru

The owners of that company demoed the DAC at a show with purposefully crappy speakers. I was blown away. So, I knew that the ESS chip can be made to sound incredible. These guys used to work at ESS so they knew the chip.

A shame the Resonessence Labs is no longer around. If they had priced the Mirrus DAC at the same price as the Musetec 005 they would have sold a ton more.

I prefer the 005 over the DAC3B in almost all cases. However, if I had very warm speaker and other warm electronics then I could see myself going with the DAC3 over the 005.

I recently demoed a RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp with the RAAL SR1a headphones at the dealer. The amp has some warmth, the headphones do not, and the combo sounds incredible. The Benchmark DAC3L was used in the demo. I did not have time to put in my personal 005 into the mix (it was sitting right beside the DAC3L) but the DAC3L was so perfect with that warm amp.

What that means is that I can buy a second Musetec 005 to replace my DAC3B in the Living room (all -Benchmark stack). The DAC3B will move to my VM-1a headphone only system.

You can ship the unit back to China by USPS. I sent my Gustard X26 Pro back to China for replacement, and it cost me $116. The 005 is a bi heavier so the cost will be more. Though this was all before the Russian invasion and transport costs were lower.

@benzman I have something similar to you (previously had CSiB). Now have a CODA 07x preamp | CODA #8 amp | Musetec 005 | RAAL SR1a headphones. I love this combo. It is not easy to make the SR1a reach it’s full potential with a 2-channel amp (I know from a lot of experience).

The CODA stack comes as close to the top dog, the RAAL VM-1a headphone amp. I wanted to sell the CODA #8 to get the cheaper VM-1a but the CODA was too good for me to pull the trigger to sell. I will likely always keep it around for 2-channel speaker and headphone duties, unless I upgrade to the CODA #16.

I tried other DACs in this chain and any deficiency in the DAC showed up in the headphones (usually as fatigue). The 005 was the best DAC for the SR1a, followed very far behind by the AudioMirror Tubadour III SE.

@benzman Ship it from USPS. It should be half that price. I did a replacement back to China with USPS and it went perfectly (a Gustard X26 Pro).

What color is the 005 you have. I sold my CODA #8 amp today and was planning on buying a second 005, just not so soon, but a gift horse.

@benzman Thanks for the update, the cost of oil must have caused the increase in shipping. I am looking for a black 005. In fact I need to get one soon since I bought my ultimate headphone amp this afternoon and will likely use my Benchmark DAC3B with it and not the 005. I will need another 005 to fill in where the DAC3B currently resides.

The amp I am getting is a tube amp and I demoed it with the DAC3B, which is a little brighter than the 005. This is likely a better match with those tubes..

@kairosman I also owned and sold the Topping D90SE. The D90SE will sound very good on speakers. It is very much like the Benchmark DAC3B. However, if you send the DAC signal to some headphones you may notice that the D90SE is a bit harsher than a DAC3B. Compared to the Musetec 005 the D90SE is much harsher on headphones.

I used the RAAL SR1a to test this out. I am not sure if there is any other headphone as revealing as the SR1a.

I had the Topping pre90 + D90SE + Benchmark AHB2 + KEF LS50 as my uber revealing setup. I sold the Topping and put back a Benchmark LA4 pre + DAC3B, which I found better in mostly features and a bit better in sound.

I use the 005 now with the Benchmark LA4 preamp. All I hear in this setup is the 005 and it sounds great. I used a CODA 07x preamp before but that colored (in a nice way) the sound of the 005. I like the naked 005 sound more.

I totally get the rational of @toddk31 of returning the DAC. I may have done the same thing if I were in his shoes.

I look at it this way. I am lucky I bought the DAC and listened before these measurements issues arose. Reason being I was in the camp that my gear has to  both measure well and also sound good to me. I likely would have returned the DAC.

However, today I have a changed my view on the measurements as a main criteria for keeping gear. The 005 has shown me that it is not the most important factor. BTW - I said this on the ASR 005 thread and people got offended, mainly because I heard differences in DACs.

I am still looking to buy a second Black 005. I have a 3rd Sonore OpticalRendu on it's way to my home from another A'gon poster who was selling it. That will be used with the 2nd 005 I want to get. I will be using 3 DACs with 3 OpticalRendu's.

To change the subject.

An interesting thing happened today. I brought back my CODA 07x preamp to my office and removed my Benchmark LA4 preamp from the office. I learned that the CODA 07x maybe useful with my, soon to be delivered, RAAL VM-1a headphone amp (it has only 1 input). So, in it went to the office system.

I had a ROON software update done today before the gear changes, I was listening with my Musetec 005 DAC after the update and not the Benchmark DAC3B. Both DACs were working flawlessly in the past with either one of my preamps.

Today the DAC3B had a lot of distortion on the music, this was easy to hear with ADELE 21 stream from my FLAC version on my hard drive. On the Musetec 005 I had no distortion, just perfect sound. I did some investigation (changing XLR’s, preamps, USB cables) and narrowed it down to the DAC3B now requiring the HEADROOM MANAGEMENT feature enabled in ROON. I found that values less than -3 on the HEADROOM ADJUSTMENT fixed the distortion I was hearing.

I am testing all of this on my RAAL SR1a headphone which are uber revealing.

Interesting aspect of this issue is that the Musetec 005 did not have the distortion after the ROON update and the DAC3B did not need the -3 or less adjustment prior to the software update.

Now that this is all fixed, I am doing A | B comparisons of the 2 DACs with 2 streams from 2 OpticalRendu’s. It is so easy to hear the differences in these 2 DACs. The Musetec is such a clear winner with the RAAL SR1a. When I get my tube RAAL VM-1a amp I am not sure if the Musetec 005 will be the winner.

Ok, back to whatever we were discussing.

(9) Help explain intersample overs, please? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Can someone listen to Paul McCartney’s Band on the Run and tell me if they can hear the echo. I have heard this song many times but I never heard an echo with Paul’s vocal until today. Using the 005 into my RAAL SR1a headphones. Just amazing sound.

I am wondering a little if something is broken because that echo is new to me.

It was just a stream from ROON. WingSpan FLAC Tidal 44.1 kHz 16 bit. So nothing special.

The best thing I can say about the RAAL SR1a is that they are nothing like headphones. There is a new model coming out that are like headphones for people who crave a headphone sound. What I have is more a 2-channel sound with an open baffle 'ear speaker'.  I am incredibly impressed with even the Benchmark DAC3B tonight.

I am now listening to Band on the Run on the VM-1a and the DAC3B. The echo that I hear is even more pronounced on this setup. It starts at around the 2:20 mark. 

This maybe the best MUSIC I have ever heard anywhere. A buddy of mine has a problem playing music on his 2-channel since his kids cannot sleep. I am going to tell him to sell  all his gear expect the DAC and get the vm-1a and SR1a.

Next up is the Musetec 005 and the VM-1a.I can also improve the streaming slightly in my current setup. I will do that tomorrow. Cannot stop the music tonight.

@branislav I wonder how much more posts we have to go before A’gon closes this thread down. Yea, a bit cynical on my part, but some truth there too.

BTW - next week I am giving my 005 to a friend who has an incredible ear and is a manufacturer of audio gear. He will listen to it is for a few weeks to test out his new uber gear.

These days when I compare DACs, I use ROON and the GROUP stream feature. I stream using 2 identical Sonore OpticalRendu's connected the same way to 2 DACs.

If you use an ultra-revealing and neutral preamp like the Benchmark LA4 into a pair of XLR or RCA preamp inputs, then the test is almost like a lab test. I can switch inputs on the preamp to hear the identical sequence of music on either one of the DACs. 

Another totality different way that I have used for DAC evaluation has been to solicit the opinion of musicians, especially if they have some personal connection to the recording. The person I am lending my 005 to is also a musician and has worked with a lot of musicians and knows how they should sound. So, assuming a recording is good, I have been able to get feedback on a few of my components and how close they are to producing an accurate sound. I sold a few pieces and rearranged my office based on the feedback I got.  A few musicians also post on A'gon, I love those posts.

Some months back, we listened to the 005 on few tracks at his lab but I want to have him listen for a month or so and get his professional opinion. He is lending me a new hot item (hopefully for a month, which I will likely buy). He had some issue with the 005 on first listen (forgot the details), but the main take away was that he wanted to spend more time with it since it seemed like an excellent DAC.

I will post his take in a month. Either way I love the 005. Though it is not my fav on my new 7 tube headphone amp. I love the Benchmark DAC3B on this new tube amp.

Fellow Musetec fans. I am in the need of a smallish DAC for my second office. I have a new headphone, the RAAL CA-1a that I will be using in this room with the Schitt Jotunheim R (RAAL only) headphone amp. It is not a great amp (6/10) compared to the RAAL VM-1a (10/10) for my headphones.

I was planning to use only a tuner with this system but last night I tried it out with my Benchmark DAC3B and it was good enough for the intended purpose.

So, I will put a low-cost DAC in this system Hopefully, not too large since I have limited desk space.

I was wonder if the Musetec 004 DAC in stock form is something to consider?

LKS Audio MH-DA004 DAC; MHDA004; D/A Converter; Remote - The Music Room (tmraudio.com)

- I am considering the following:

- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (previously sold it)

- Denafrips Ares II

- RME ADI-2 DAC FS

- Topping D90SE (previously sold it)

- Matrix Audo Mini I-3 Pro (previously sold it)

- Musetec 004

Do you need to do Mods to make the Musetec 004 shine?

The Schitt JR amp ($300 used) I am using seems a tiny bit warm.

What usb renderer is the best to use ?

I have 3 of the Sonore OpticalRendu for ROON ONLY. If I go with a Matrix Mini I-3 Pro DAC listed above I will have 1 extra streamer to sell.

Thanks for the feedback on the low-cost DACs. I was fooled a bit by the photo of the 004. It did not look that large. I had a feeling the ARES II maybe too dark for my JR amp. the Schiit Bifrost 2 was also considered but I think some of the DACs I listed are more detailed.

I will go with the Topping D90LE (no MQA) since I know the sound (owed the MQA version before) and it is small in size. As I mentioned before my Schitt JR amp is not that great so I will be good with the Topping which is the lowest priced of all the DACs I listed

Ric Shultz pointed me to the Musetec brand during a phone conversation.

BTW - my friend with the great audio background told me that tomorrow he will be firing up my Musetec 005 when he tests a few amps that he has in his shop ready to ship to customers. I am really interested in his feedback on this DAC with his gear.

(26) ABA Clips: Why you need a DDC - YouTube

The above was a really good technical description of a lot of the streaming terms that are tossed around. Galvanic Isolation, I2S, et al.

APOS price matched the Shenzhen sale price for the Topping D90LE DAC I got yesterday. Loved the DAC with my not so amazing Schitt Jotunheim R headphone amp. I think the EtherRegen to OpticalRendu streaming has something to do with the great listening experience with the brand new RAA: CA-1a headphones.

@daci The Gustard X26 Pro is warmer and not as detailed as the 005. I really like the Gustard and only sold it to fund the 005 purchase. If you have some bright speakers, then the Gustard could be a better choice over the 005. 

One important aspect of having separates for streaming, volume, etc.. is that you can buy these units in the used market. For example, one of my 3 Sonore OpticalRendu’s is used and was a significant cost savings.

I also never liked the volume on a DAC, especially at low volume. My Benchmark LA4 preamp at $2500 (new) serves me perfectly for source input switching and volume.

I am under $7K for my Musetec 005 system (volume, streaming, DAC). There is no other streaming component I would want nor preamp, at ANY price, I want to switch too.

Someone I know was home demoing the Weiss. From what he described it seemed like a better Benchmark DAC3B. The 005 is not like the DAC3B.

The Musetec 005 sounds more like this one.

Resonessence Labs Mirus DAC | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

A shame these guys are no more. They are the guys who previously designed the ESS chip.

I am without my Musetec 005 for the past few weeks and likely for a few more weeks. I lent it out to someone.

I ran into some really messed up streaming issues on ROON the past week with my Benchmark DAC3B. I was getting some smearing of the sound. This was with TIDAL, Qobuz, and my FLAC library. Anyways, I solved it by enabling the following on ROON (all other DSP is removed)

• - Headroom Management
  • - Sample Rate Conversion

I am not sure if I needed both but the sound is correct now so that is good enough for me.

Did anyone need to do this with the Musetec or notice any degradation of the ROON streaming? There are new versions of ROON that I automatically install, so I am wondering if that was the culprit.

I also removed my Sonore OpticalModule from the streaming chain thinking that was the culprit. I now think it was not at fault and need to put it back in. Current streaming is fibre optical direct from a network switch to my OpricalRendu.

I also have some suspicion on Qobuz. I have signed out of that service for now and need to test further.

Thanks for the ROON feedback. My issue could be related to the Benchmark DAC3B and the "inter-sample overs" thing they support. The thought of that was what made try to adjust the ROON headroom management in the first place. Though last month everything was working fine on the DAC3B without the adjustment.

When I get my Musetec 005 back, I may have to use a second OpticalRendu dedicated just to the 005. The other option would be to use the single OpticalRendu, and just switch the USB between DACs (easy for me to do). I would need to create a new ROON DSP filter that does nothing and name it "Musetec" and the existing one "Benchmark". That is a pain because one tends to forget to change the filter to the correct setting.

I went crazy into these ROON settings last year with 3 DACs and 2 DSP Convolution filters all setup at the same time. It got complicated.

@sns I wrrote a blurb last night identifying my Benchmark DAC3B as the cause of my streaming gremlins. After a few hours of listening and unplugging and plugging in devices I came to the conclusion that my Benchmark DAC3B is working perfectly. It a very robust unit and I was surprised I initially though it was broken. I deleted the post above.

I was also praising the addition of the OpticalModule in front of the OpticalRendu. When it was working it was rgeat. It really improved the streaming sonics. I had been going direct from my network switch since I was suspicious about the OpticalModule’s health te past few weeks. It is likely on it’s last legs since it failed after a few hours. It may work again this morning.

I replaced the OpticalModule with a EtherRegen that was idle in my now dismantled Livingroom system. Again, more sonic improvement in the streaming. The sonic picture is cleaner and more clear. I think the EtherRegen sounded even better than the OpticalModule, but my OM is defective.

I was never impressed using the ER from A > B (standard way). I am doing B > A and it is a better use of the ER. I was planning on selling the ER last year, but I tried B > A before putting it for sale and the ER in front of the OpticalRendu was a winner. I am also using the cheap power supply that came with the ER.

Let’s us know how the Muon works out. At this time the plan for me is to get another ER once my Livingroom system is rebuilt.

I removed the DSP from all my ROON endpoints again. Seems perfect so far.

The difference between the pe90 and LA4 are not that great when the pre90 works as intended. The following reviewer put them head-to-head.

Topping Pre90 + Ext90 Review - Pre-amp my Power-amp! (soundnews.net)

For me, I hated the fact that the pre90 worked well with only 2 of the amps I tried and was unusable for me with 4 or 5 others. It was a volume issue. The LA4 works with any amp and there are more needed features and robustness to the implementation and feel. I really wanted to like the pre90, but it failed. 

If you like a bit of warmth, I highly recommend the CODA 07x. It is not as quiet as the pre90 or LA4 but not that far off. It has a tube-like sound that would appeal to more people. I gravitate more towards the LA4.

The Musetec 005 with the 07x works well but if your amp is warm and the speakers are warm then it maybe too much of a good thing. In such a situation I would change out one of the components to tone that warmth down. 

I say this because the 005 was the only SS DAC that worked with my RAAL SR1a headphones when used with a 2-channel amp. It was also the best DAC by a mile for such a use case. The SR1a is extremely revealing and a bit bright. In comparison, my Benchmark DAC3B was a no go with the SR1a and 2-channel amp, too bright.

Last month I posted about lending a friend of mine the Musetec 005 to hear with his RAAL VM-1a headphone amp. Yesterday I picked up the DAC. The VM-1a is a tube headphone amp for both the RAAL-Requisite CA-1a and SR1a headphones.

I also have all of this RAAL-Requisite gear, and when used with my Benchmark DAC3B, it was the very best sound I have had in my office, and maybe the best I have ever heard anywhere (no physical room to deal with). Stereophile will have a review on this combo soon (not sure which DAC).

This setup is so good that I sold my Thiel CS3.7 floor standers a few weeks ago and bought the KEF LS50 Meta this week to try and recreate the resolution, speed, and clarity I am hearing on this amp and headphones. I also have KEF KC62 sub.

When I first heard the Musetec 005 on the VM-1a and SR1a and CA-1a headphones I was very underwhelmed. It just sounded subdued and not exciting at all. My friend commented the same observation to me on the 005. It just does not work on this tube amp.

I put in my Benchmark DAC3B, the same DAC that I heard when I demoed the amp, and the sound just opened up an became this reference level quality that I am raving about to everyone. I am not sure why the 005 sounds so boring on the VM-1a.

However, on my old LS50 (waiting on delivery of LS50 Meta) the Musetec 005 | CODA 07x | Benchmark AHB2 mono are excellent. The Benchmark DAC3B does not sound as good as the 005 on this system. I am excited to see what the Meta will do to the sound. I do not expect to be as good as the VM-1a. I have a Livingroom system that I am building that may be able to scale the heights of the VM-1a. I will likely use the Musetec 005 with that system (may need a 2nd one).

Luckily, I have 2 Sonore OpticalRendu’s setup in my office to have both DACs in play for the VM-1a and also my 2-channel system.

Pairing a 005 with a Coda preamp for example will provide a formidable combination for about $10k, the starting price of these expensive DACs.

I have the CODA 07x preamp (their top unit). However, it is now sitting idle because the Benchmark LA4 preamp + Musetec 005 + Benchmark AHB2 monos sound slightly better to my ears. The pre and DAC total around $5600. This is with a KEF LS50 in my office.

I love the LA4 + 005 combo. I am flipping back and forth about selling the CODA 07x and getting a second LA4 and second 005 (almost certain on the 005). The CODA 07x is getting a new external power supply in a few months so I want to try that with the 005 first before I decide.

All of these comparisons and reviews on this thread are subjective. People have different ears, specific system needs, and financial comfort spending on DACs.

The Musetec 005 is great in 1 of my systems and not good in another (my headphones). Saying all of that, I am expecting to buy my second 005 in 3 or 4 weeks from a fellow A'goner.

I am not sure what an active preamp is. The LA4 and the CODA 07x have the almost the same features, except the 07x has dual XLR outputs (very useful).

I have finished building out my office system and the Musetec 005 really anchors the digital part to make what could be a sterile setup (with Benchmark preamp and amps) work perfectly for my ears.

I decided to sell my CODA 07x preamp on Friday and also my KRELL Dou 175XD amp. Both of these are sitting idle and I do not like having idle gear when I could make money with them. So TMRAudio maybe buying them from me next week. Otherwise, anyone want a killer preamp and amp?

I am building out my second system, in the Livingroom, and it will be a second Musetec 005 DAC and a second Benchmark LA4 preamp and (almost certain) the not yet released KRELL KSA i400 stereo amp. All of this to power my dream speaker for the past decade, the KEF Blade 2  (I will buy the Meta).

I have owned the KRELL K-300i integrated and now the KRELL Dou 175XD stereo amp, so I know what I like about this new KRELL.

Last night I put my Topping D90LE (their top DAC minus MQA) in with my RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp. The Musetec 005 is not good with the VM-1a. The Topping D90LE was fantastic with the VM-1a. I think it was even better than the Benchmark DA3B on the VM-1a. There is a tiny bit of hardness on the DAC3B and VM-1a which seems to go away with the Topping. I was using the Topping in the DAC's 'tube'  filter mode.

I also bought a second Musetec 005 and have it in storage for my future Livingroom 2-channel system. 

@jjss49 Whenever I go wine tasting in the Bay Area (Napa + Sonoma) I always ask for a straw.

.. (who has a Topping in his audio chain is probably a person who only pays attention savings so I don't expect it to have a high-end system alas ...)

I have a Topping D90LE in one of my systems and it produces a sound that bring me happiness. It was not about cost but more about synergy for this pairing.  Schitt Jotenhueim | Topping D90LE | RAAL CA-1a + SR1a 

Does anyone remember if the Briscasti DACs were compared to the Musetec 005 on this thread. The thread has gotten big and I do not follow all the posts anymore.

Actually I did that just now and came across some posts by the person that sold me his Musetec 005 (my second one). He compared it to the Bricasti M1 SE. I used different search terms to find the post, A’gon search is pretty lame.

The post I found was very useful and answered exactly what I wanted to know. I was considering using a Benchmark LA4 preamp with a Musetec 005 DAC on my new Livingroom system, which will use new KRELL amp(s) and KEF Blade 2 Meta. I have the 005 and LA4 already in my completed office system, with Benchmark AHB2 monos. So I know that pairing is great.

My dealer is telling me to try a different preamp from the LA4 for the KRELL. He suggested the Bricasti. Reading the post on this thread that compared the M1 SE DAC with the 005 DAC made me think I do not need the Bricasti DAC. I already have the 005 and Sonore OpticalRendu that I am sure is close to the Network streaming card of the Bricasti M12 Source Controller with DAC (mine could be even better). Though the M12 is a cleaner and simpler solution if the Ethernet streaming is as good as my Sonore OpticalRendu.

I am now thinking of giving the Bricasti M20 preamp (no DAC) a demo with the 005. Mainly to be sonically different (not better) from my office system which is Benchmark LA4 preamp | Musetec 005 | Benchmark AHB2 monos | KEF LS50 Meta + KEF KC62 sub. The office system is super clean and precise with the 005 adding some smoothness.

The Livingroom system could be a rounder and smoother sound with the Bricasti preamp | Musetec 005 DAC | KRELLL XD amp(s) | KEF Blade 2 Meta.

BTW - I just sold my CODA 07x preamp which is 1/2 the price of the Bricasti M20 and has similar features. I liked the quieter and more detailed LA4 more than the 07x, The 07x with the 005 DAC was at the far edge of smoothness for my particular tastes.

If anyone cares. Some smart guys talking about the Sonore streaming vs Bricasti streaming.

Bricasti M1 > M5 > M12: Network Player - Member REVIEW - w/OEM Response from Brian Zolner President Bricasti - Page 2 - Music Servers - Audiophile Style

Gramophone Dreams #61: The Art of Cable: AudioQuest, Canare, Kondo & the HoloAudio Serene preamplifier Page 2 | Stereophile.com

Ok, I think we have a winner in the HoloAudio Serene. It sounds like a killer unit. A slightly warmer (or musical as they say) LA4. 

1)  HoloAudio Serene preamp |  Musetec 005 | KRELL DUO 300XD | KEF Blade Meta 2

2) Benchmark LA4 preamp | Musetec 005 | Benchmark AHB2 mono | KEF LS50 Meta + KEF KC62 Sub

I have 3 tuners and a SACD player that need a preamp to hook up to.

I wish the Musetec 005 had a 12V trigger input. I could then shut down all the gear with 1 button click in system #2,

I thought about what I should do last night regarding a preamp for my Livingroom system. I considered the Bricasti M12, Meitner M3, SimAudio 390, T+A 200 DAC, and some others.

I also considered some standalone DACs with the HoloMay Serene such as the Rockna WaveDream SE XLR, Mola Mola Tambaqui, and Bricasti M1 SE.

However, The advantages of the LA4 or HoloMay Serene preamps + the Musetec 005 brought me back to that combo. Which is what I will use (if the Serene is what I expect).

My only issue with the Musetec 005 is that it does not pair well with my RAAL VM-1a headphone amp in my office. I use a Benchmark DAC3B for that. However, a single DAC to hook up to both my VM-1a system and KEF LS50 Meta system would be ideal. I am duplicating the optical streaming in my office for the 2 DACs, a waste of money

Getting the very best setup for the VM-1a is important to me since at the moment it is my very best sound. I think the Livingroom ’big’ system should surpass it but you never know when the room gets involved.

@sns It is too smooth on the RAAL VM-1a amp. This amp and both SR1a + CA-1a headphones can scale amazing heights in sonic quality. With the 005 it sounds way too smooth and lifeless. The Benchmark DAC3B sounds so much better. The VM-1a + DAC3B is not what I call smooth. Realistic is a more apt description. The SR1a is really a miniature 2 channel system, not really headphones.

I lent my 005 DAC to Danny at RAAL-Requisite (one of the 2 owners) for 1 month since I wanted his opinion, given mine was not too favorable. He has an incredible ear and is a former musician. In fact, I recently read a 1 page blurb on Danny’s listening skills on the 6moons web site. So I had good intuition on this. Danny even came to my home and heard my office system (for another project) and gave me some great critiques that I addressed to my benefit.

SR1a (6moons.com)

So it is not just my amateur ears that had an issue with the 005. Of course, I love this DAC on my 2-channel gear and own 2 of them.

I do not think the Serene preamp will be much of a difference from the Benchmark LA4, which is exactly what I want to achieve, The Serene has an extra RCA input that I can use. The plan was to get a second LA4 but I am curious about the "better measuring and organic sounding Serene".

The LA4 and Serene are not used with VM-1a headphone amp. The VM-1a has a preamp and amp section already built-in. The Serene and LA4 can used with my SR1a when connected to my RAAL SR1a Amp Interface box. I need to unhook my 2-channel speaker cables when I do this but I have SpeakON cables for both the speakers and the Adapter Box, so it is simple.

@kishan What gear are you going to use with the next DAC you buy?

I had some interesting gear combos with the 005. I tended to like it best with some gear that was a bit on the warm side of neutral. These included the following:

• CODA 07x preamp
  • CODA #8 amp
  • CODA #16 amp (have this now)
  • KRELL Duo 175XD amp

I hated it with my RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp which was surprising. Even the RAAL VM-1a manufacturer did not like it. I lent him my 005 for a month because it sounded so good with the gear I listed above. The caveat being that my fav DAC with the VM-1a is the bright Benchmark DAC3B. The DAC3B is not as good as the 005 with the gear listed above.

I also have a Lumin X1 DAC and I prefer it to the Musetec 005 with my Benchmark LA4 preamp and AHB2 monos. This is an amazing combo. I thought the Musetec 005 was also very good with the Benchmark gear, but for my ears, the Lumin X1 matches better with the neutral Benchmark gear.

I need to get a DAC in September timeframe since I sold my 2 Musetec DACs last week to pay some audio bills. I need a new DAC to pair with the CODA #16 and the KEF Blade 2 Meta. At the moment, it is a coin toss between the Musetec 005 and another X1.